Prague baby!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
May 23rd 2014
Published: September 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Amy's visit to Prague coincided with some excellent weather so we spent most of our time outdoors. That's not a bad idea at all as Prague is a beautiful city and lends itself perfectly to leisurely strolls, stops for ice-cream and coffees and lazing in parks. Oh, and there are some nice playgrounds too...

With the beautiful weather we decided that a fun morning excursion would be to take a pedalo out onto the Vltava river. This turned out to be a lot of fun and Amy enjoyed being on the water. We took it in turns to do the pedalling - and to hold on to Amy! - and took in some great views of the Charles Bridge in the sunshine.

Next up was Prague's beautiful Old Town. Our apartment was in a perfect position for exploring this, just a 2 minute walk from the main square and the famous astronomical clock. We enjoyed wandering the streets and stopping off for beers and coffees when required. The cobble stones on the old streets were very scenic but they made pushing the buggy hard work!

A trip across the Charles Bridge took us to the other side of the Vltava and up to the Castle. This area is also really enjoyable to explore, although unfortunately the other million and one tourists in Prague have heard about it too! We found a fantastic cafe just around the corner from the castle (U Zavěšenýho Kafe) which was quiet and served amazing and very reasonable coffee and cake. We stopped there a few times and were never disappointed. Nearby we also visited the 'John Lennon wall', which is filled with graffiti themed on the man himself and more generally on 'peace' messages and the like. Our castle visit was all the more exciting as the Prague Food Festival was on at the time, so we got to enjoy some very tasty local food, wine and even some wagyu beef. Amy looked interested in having a taste but we weren't going to risk that ending up on the ground...

Speaking of yummy food, we have to mention the best meal we had in Prague, at the State Opera House. The setting is fantastic, with chandeliers and waist-coated waiters. We were worried that Amy might be an obstacle to us getting in but we were made very welcome and given a fantastic set lunch. Seriously recommended.

As Amy's parents, we are keen that Amy gets a full cultural experience, and so sought out interesting-sounding museums in Prague. By far the most interesting was the 'Prague Beer Museum'! Whilst calling it a 'museum' might be a bit of a stretch, it certainly does carry a large selection of beers - and is made all the more enjoyable by the fact that you can order small 'tasting' portions. We enjoyed a good variety and Amy enjoyed the nice outdoor beer garden and the attention of being the only baby in the beer museum..!

Our final stop in Prague was a walk up to Petrin Hill, which provides a great open space near to the centre and also great views over the city. It's also home to a couple of nice little outdoor cafes and a playground - pretty much designed for families and we could have spent longer exploring.

Prague is a brilliant city and didn't disappoint with a great mix of culture, cuisine and sights. The only thing which can be a bit challenging is the large number of other tourists who've also heard about what a great place it is, but having to share is part of the fun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb