Walk before it rains


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
May 2nd 2005
Published: May 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Trams are greatTrams are greatTrams are great

The trams not only get you there quickly, no gridlock, but also give good views of the city.
Today was a summer day, bright sunshine with the temperature in the mid to high 80's. The Internet says it will rain, beginning tomorrow and continuing until the weekend. About mid-afternoon I walked to where Nancy was working and said, "Let's grab a sandwich at Crococillies and then go back to the park with the great view of Prague. We can eat and then walk. The guidebook shows another spot that is supposed to give a good view."

Nancy groaned as she was TIRED, but decided maybe it was not really a terrible idea. We closed the library at five. This was our day to close up at the end of the day. After changing our clothes we headed to the Jeneralka bus stop and headed downtown.

Crocodilles is a chain of sandwhich shops here in the Czech Republic. They have a good selection of sandwiches that are far superior to the junk food at McDonalds or KFC, and they are less expensive. There is a case of ready made sandwhiches in each shop, but you can place an order and a fresh sandwich will be made for you. Frankly I also think their sandwiches are better than Subway's food.

We walked to the Hanavsky Pavilion as I wanted to see the Charles Bridge and Vltava River in late afternoon light. It was great and though I had taken several pictures yesterday I took two more today.

Two young women heard us speaking English and turned to us. "'Will you take our picture with the river in the background?"

Nancy handed their camera to me, "He is the photographer," she said.

I snapped their pictures and we began talking. One was from San Diego and the other from Arizona. Two friends spending a week in a beautiful city. They were going to have dessert in the pavilion. We had just eaten and fortunately have no desire for more food at that moment.

As we walked around the park we saw a group going through some exercises as if getting ready to do Tai Chi. Nancy wanted to watch. After a bit they did start the Tai Chi exercises, but gee whiz, they did them much too fast and all the fluid beauty of the movements was lost. Also they did not keep their movements together. It was rather like watching a group of
PraguePraguePrague

And another shot of the Charles Bridge and the Vltava River.
soldiers marching, but totally out of step with each other. Elizabeth there is a job waiting for you here in Prague.

[Nancy- We walked to the 'other good scenic spot'. I didn't like it much. I think it is where the former statue of Stalin stood. There is now a large modern sculpture there which looks like a metronome on the spot. The entire area was much more artificial than the rest of Prague and especially this park which is wild and lovely in many places. There is a general overall look of something that has gone to weed. Nothing is in BAD shape but the trash is not picked up and the whole area looks neglected. That is a little hard to say since the terraces are not broken down or anything. But the air of the place is definitely 'off'. The view is not better but is wonderful if you have never seen the other view spots. As with the rest of the park it was full and overflowing with roller bladers, bike riders, walkers and folks enjoying the park. The crowds are nothing like those in a Chinese park but certainly there are more than in any American park. People in this country seem to really enjoy being out of doors and engaging in athletic activities. There aren't any fat folks here unless I have been blind. Well, I did see someone the other day who looked like she might be an American but she was speaking a Slavic language. So.... Perhaps there are one or two folk here who overeat and underexercise.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb