Lonesome Leigh in Prague - Czech Republic


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
September 9th 2012
Published: December 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We headed for Prague with step-by-step directions downloaded from Google and saved onto the computer. This worked well but it was not as relaxing as following the Garmin’s timely instructions. Also, the consequence of a wrong turn would be more time consuming and stressful! Luckily the Garmin service centre was near a motorway exit and we found our way there. The technician agreed the unit needed to be replaced but he was not able to do this because the business was only an authorised agent. However, he managed to reboot and reload the Garmin and we were soon on our way. We would have been much happier with a replacement because we were left wondering when the next failure would happen!

We arrived at our accommodation, the Green Apartment, and found a rather narrow but free car park at the top of the street for the duration of our stay. We went to a little restaurant near the apartment for dinner where I had a tasty pizza and Eileen had a salad.

We caught the tram downtown (a three day metro, train and tram pass - 310 Crowns or $20 NZ) to get our bearings, see the river, do a bit of window shopping and get a sense of the city. When we returned Eileen made a substantial soup dish which was very nice and we settled in for a quiet evening.

The next day Eileen was struck down with a migraine so I ducked out for a couple of hours sightseeing in the morning around the local area. I checked on Eileen over lunch and then in the afternoon I caught a tram downtown to the funicular. There was a long queue for the funicular so I walked up the hill – more of a hill than I thought, so I should have waited! Once at the top, I walked through a gate in the city wall and through a beautiful garden to the Petřín Lookout Tower. This 60 metre Eiffel Tower lookalike was designed by architect Vratislav Pasovsky, built in four months and opened in 1891. There are wonderful views over Prague from the top of the tower. I walked on to some other historic buildings where I caught the number 22 tram back downtown.

Walking across the Manesuv Most Bridge I enjoyed the vista of the river area and the historic Charles Bridge before walking to the old town square. Prague is a city of spires with truly beautiful buildings all around. The Church of Our Lady before Tyn (Staromestske nam.) has magnificent spires and outdoes the Disney World fantasy castle. It is a shame that other buildings are constructed directly in front. This was the day of the Prague Marathon, with the finish line in the main square. I arrived after the race finished but I enjoyed the carnival atmosphere. On my return to the apartment, I warmed the soup for dinner and we had a quiet evening.

In the late morning we decided to catch the tram right across town to the castle area. Once we got there Eileen was feeling dizzy and faint so we caught the tram straight back. I organised some lunch and Eileen went back to bed. I was then back on the same tram for the half hour or so journey back across town a little lonelier.

The number 22 tram curls around the back of the castle precinct and you get a level walk into the castle complex. There was a display of live birds of prey as I walked towards the main gate. I arrived just in time at the main gate to see the changing of the guard. I purchased a ticket for a short tour which included the main Cathedral (Saint Vitus), St George Basilica, Old Royal Palace and the Golden Lane. The Golden Lane is a narrow area between the old and new city walls where houses have been built. It is part museum and part gift shop and worth a look at these very old houses. There was a display of medieval armour and weaponry in the walls/ally above the Golden Lane.

The Charles Bridge was next on my itinerary but not before sampling a Pilsner Urquell at the museum of the same name. They claim to have invented the Pilsner style of beer. Adjacent to the Charles Bridge was a Mediterranean food festival. I sampled some ‘champers’ and a very nice red before heading back to the apartment. On our last evening we ate at a local bar which served forgettable food.

The next day Eileen was feeling and looking much better so we went to the Sony store and she purchased a new laptop to replace the frustratingly underpowered ‘tablet’ I have been using since we left New Zealand. While the salesman was activating and checking the software, we took the tram to the old city where we saw a building where Beethoven lived for a time, the music conservatory, and we walked over the Charles Bridge together.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0831s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb