Church of St. Michael


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
April 16th 2005
Published: April 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Church of St. MichaelChurch of St. MichaelChurch of St. Michael

From the rear of the church. Are there three spires for the trinity?
One of our goals today was to see the Church of St. Michael. We have seen pictures of the church, but had not actually seen the church.This small 18th century wooden church was moved to Prague from a village in the Ukraine. I was fascinated with the roofing shingles. They are small wooden shingles that are about two inches across, about five inches long and perhaps half an inch thick. To me they make a beautiful pattern on the church. The church is in Kinsky Garden which is right beside Petrin Park. In fact it is hard to know when you leave one and enter the other. Both are on the big hill, or should I call it a small mountain that rises on the west side of the Vltava river above the Little Quarter of Prague.

It is not hard to tell that people were much shorter in the 18th century than now. The front door was just a bit over five feet tall and the roof comes down that low all around the church. I had to duck to go under the room to take a few pictures inside the roof line.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Church of St. MichaelChurch of St. Michael
Church of St. Michael

I was fascinated by the beauty of the shingles.
Church of St. MichaelChurch of St. Michael
Church of St. Michael

The rear corner of the church showing the shingles in more detail.
Church of St. MichaelChurch of St. Michael
Church of St. Michael

The front corner of the church showing the shingles in more detail.
Church of St. MichaelChurch of St. Michael
Church of St. Michael

The front of the church close up showing the ancient wood work and the squared logs of the front wall.
Church of St. MichaelChurch of St. Michael
Church of St. Michael

The front door of the church.
Cloth HallCloth Hall
Cloth Hall

Front view of the church.
Church of St. MichaelChurch of St. Michael
Church of St. Michael

Woodwork above the door to the church.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 17; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb