Saying goodbye to Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
May 19th 2006
Published: June 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This morning we took a three-hour bus ride out of Prague to Brno, Czech Republic. None of us really had any idea what was in Brno or why we were going there—we were just along for the ride. We arrived about midday and much of the group decided to nap. However, several of us opted to walk into the center of town and see what Brno was all about. On our walk, I discovered that this was the town where Gregor Mendel did his experiments with the genetics of pea plants. A sign in front of his museum indicated that our lack of knowledge about this city was not a function of its non-importance but rather our own ignorance. But I guess if we knew it all, there would be no point in traveling. Dr. Crabb took us to a small restaurant that he had patronized in the past, and we got to sample some more traditional Czech food. A bit expensive, but a neat experience. Upon our return back to the hotel, it was almost time for our last concert in the Czech Republic. Tonight’s concert was especially interesting because it was a joint concert with the Masaryk University choir.
Flowers outside of McDonaldsFlowers outside of McDonaldsFlowers outside of McDonalds

A stop at McDonalds en route to Brno served as a photo-op rather than a meal for me!
We finally would get to interact with people our own age. The Masaryk choir began the concert with such favorites as Thompson’s “Alleluia,” the ever popular “Exultate Justi” that we’ve all sung for all-state auditions, and Moses Hogan’s “Elijah Rock.” I imagine we all looked a bit like a bunch of flounders after they sang because our mouths were hanging open. Their choir was precise, beautifully blended, and incredibly in tune. Their attention to detail and technique was obvious, although their sense of interpretation lacked a bit as Dr. Crabb had predicted. The “European way” is to concern oneself with absolute precision and pristine technique, but not to worry so much about style or communication. I think we all picked up on this and thus were able to ameliorate both our own style and precision as a result. In fact, we sang very well at this concert. What a fulfilling experience: both choirs were enthralled by the other’s performance—we were both able to learn from each other.

But wait! The fun didn’t end there! After the concert we naturally stuck around for a few minutes to chat with some of the members of our partner choir. After the basic
Our First Glimpse at BrnoOur First Glimpse at BrnoOur First Glimpse at Brno

A cute town of about 200,000
questions about everyone’s background, we decided maybe it would be fun to get together with them a bit later (after all, it was Friday night!) In any case, Dennis, the owner of the tour company put the number of one of their choir members in his cell phone, and after a buffet dinner at the hotel, let me use his phone to call Viktoria, a girl equally interested in meeting up as we were. In fact, she and a friend, Martin, came to our hotel via public transport to take us back to the center of the city. When we arrived, there were about 15 members of the Masaryk choir waiting for us. We found a pub large enough to accommodate all 30 of us, and began to socialize.

This may have been one of the most rewarding experiences of the entire trip. What a neat opportunity to get to socialize with our college counterparts half way across the world. The amazing this was, we were all basically the same. Save for the language difference, college kids in the Czech Republic like and do the same things we do. Throughout the course of the night, we learned a few
Interesting Public ArtInteresting Public ArtInteresting Public Art

What a neat sculpture
Czech drinking songs, taught a few American songs and sang “Elijah Rock” together. It was an incredible experience. About two o’clock, we headed back to the hotel, very satisfied with the night’s events.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

A Beautiful Church in BrnoA Beautiful Church in Brno
A Beautiful Church in Brno

Not where we had our concert, but still beautiful
Our Concert Space In BrnoOur Concert Space In Brno
Our Concert Space In Brno

Called "the Red Church," this is where we held our Joint Concert with the Masaryk University Choir


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb