Spring in Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
November 7th 2010
Published: November 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We followed the Royal Walk route suggested in the brochure, started from Municipal House, (next to Hybernia Theatre where I noticed there’s an opera/ballet show “Carmen” on later tonight), through Powder Gate, walked to the old town square, over Charles Bridge and ending at Prague Castle. There’s a clock tower at old town square, an astronomical clock with the 12 apostles appearing in rotation through two blue windows every hour on the dot. There’s also a huge screen and tent put up by Hyundai to show the (world cup) soccer matches in the afternoon. Already vendors were setting up stores roasting pork legs, grilling sausages and a local pastry wrapped around thick wooden sticks at 11am.

At noon just as we got to Prague Castle, the change of guards procession began. The castle complex was huge, and church within the castle apparently took over 600 years to build. This beats the Spanish Sagrada Familia record. There’s a very nice panoramic view of the old town across the Vlata River from the castle grounds, especially from the little vineyard. The hundred spire city truly lived up to its name. The red roofs, multiple arched bridges over the river, green hills in between the buildings, broad sky with large formations of white clouds, all gave it that special charm that is uniquely Prague.

Having seen a lot of buildings, monuments and churches, we decided to visit some parks in the city. A long narrow park that used to be the castle moat took us out of the castle complex. Another park with a funicular climbing its hills - Petrinske Sady - was unexpectedly beautiful. As soon as we got out of the funicular, we were greeted by two huge bushes of blossoming rose trees. There are two rose gardens at the top, close to the planetarium. Roses of all colours were in full blossom, some wrapped around white portals, most planted in neat rows with walkways in between. There are smaller purple and yellow flowering shrubs below the roses. It’s a feast to the eyes and noses with the lingering fragrance.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb