Learning to cross country ski


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
March 12th 2005
Published: March 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The morning dawned bright and sunny. For the first time in a about six weeks or so the temperature actually rose above freezing today and there was some melting of the snow. Today was a good day for taking a long walk and in the afternoon that is exactly what we did.

The ice no longer covers the small stream that runs through the Sarka Valley. We noticed that, with the melting snow, much more water is flowing in the creek. We sincerely hope there is not a quick melt of snow across the Czech Republic this spring. Several years ago a quick melt resulted in the worst flooding in several centuries. Many of Prague’s older sections received damage from the flooding. Also those portions of the subway nearest and under the Vltana River were filled with water. Basically the city was divided by the flooding river, each side cut off from the other by the raging waters.

While walking we saw a father and his young son coming toward us. The little boy, about three, was on bright, pink skis. As we neared we could hear the father talking to him, encouraging him as the little boy was learning cross country skiing. Sometimes when he fell his father would pick him up. At other times when he fell his father would encourage him to get back up on his skis with no help. Both were having a great time. We followed them for several hundred yards. Three adults on skis passed going the other direction with big smiles lighting their faces when they saw the little boy.

“I bet that brings back happy memories from their own childhood,” I said.

“I am sure it does,” Nancy replied. “Did you see how they smiled when they saw him?”
That particular 5 mile round trip hike is becoming a favorite of ours. We hope it will be just as much fun to walk in the valley when spring comes. We absolutely love it in the snow and can imagine how beautiful the trees and plants will be later on. But today as I noticed the snow starting to melt I was almost sad. I have enjoyed it so much and hate to see it go. I don’t think my feelings are shared by many of the students. They all seem to be hoping for warm days. At least it did the normal thing today and snowed again for a short while. 47 straight days of snow eve

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb