Central Bohemia


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
April 4th 2006
Published: April 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Prague, as well being the capital of the newly formed Czech Republic, is also the capital of Central Bohemia. Bohemia is an historical region within the Czech republic. So when someones says "That's very bohemian" or "the bohemian end of chapel street", it is this region that they are referring to. It is said that quite a number of artists, intellectuals and non-conformists inhabited this area in the past, hence why the term has the meaning it has today in western culture.

Since I last wrote we have seen and done a great deal within Prague, and outside of it. The other night we stumbled upon the best Czech restuarant in the history of the world (Well we think so atleast). Apart from the outstanding food this restuarant offers, it survives despite heavy opposition from well, foreign invaders. Imagine you were an entrepreneur and you stumbled across a city that sold the cheapest beer in the world. And this city was constantly full of locals who loved the stuff and tourists who came here to drink as much of it as they can. Now, what would you put everywhere?? What stores would perfectly counteract thousands of beer-filled bellies?.....McDonalds and KFC. They're everywhere. In many places in the city you can stand at the door of one McDonalds and see another one. No Starbucks but plently greasy, Americano fare to satisfy the drunken hunger. So, in going back to the story of our little restuarant, you have to walk past about 8 McDonalds to get to it and its so so worth it.

Yesterday we did a 4 hour walking tour of Prague with our wonderful little tour guide, Victoria. Her inabiltiy to speak clear english was definitely offset by her lovely nature, her vast knowledge of the city and the enthusiasm with which she presented it. At times listening to her speak was like trying to drive when your windscreen is fogged up; the outlines there but it lacks some detail. However she never minded repeating things and was quite pateint with us.

The tour started in the Old Prague Square and took us through the Jewish Quarter and across the Charles Bridge to the massive Prague Castle that overlooks the city. This city has a long and significant history. Its been here for around 1000 years and was pivitol in many wars and conflicts that have been central to shaping Europe. Hitler even loved this city so much that, according to Victoria, he ordered it spared from any bomb attacks and the Nazis even set up a command post here, as it happens in the very same building that we saw Mozart's Requiem in the other night. In this place there is history everywhere, and also the aforementioned cheap beer.

One interesting story we were told was that of the building of the Charles Bridge. The King at the time, Charles IV, was very superstitious and wanted to build the bridge on a date that would ensure it would not fall down. So he consulted his spiritial advisors for the right date and they supplied him with one. Problem was the date was 13 years away. The King didn't seem to mind, he waited. The advisors said the date should be July 9, 1357, 5:31 AM. Quite Specific right? The reason being its sequence: 1357-9thday-7thmonth- 5:31, meaning the sequence is 135797531. The king himself laid the first stone at this precise moment after waiting 13 years and then died before its completion! The bridge still stands today so it sounds like it was a good idea 😊

Our tour group was quite small being just us, some older New Zealanders and two American students who are currently studying in London. We caught up with them last night and decided to meet up today to head out horseriding on a farm 30 minutes south of the city. So at 11:30 this morning we were picked up from the Charles Bridge by the riding company and driven out to the farm by our guide, Katarina, whose English was no better than Victoria's and her nature no less lovely. I mention this mainly because we felt a bit of anti-tourist sentiment in certain parts of Rome so it is refreshing to be met with such enthusiasm by people within the tourism industry, and generallly it just makes your day a whole lot better.

The farm was a very quaint little step up, nestled amongst some hills and trees in the country. After the usual safety run through we all set off on our trutsy steeds into the woods of Somewhere in the Czech Republic. The ride went for a couple of hours and took us through the woods, trails , some paddocks and the like. A great way to spend a day in my books. It's true to say that there are, indeed, worse things you could be doing.

Hope all are well,

John and Kristian



Advertisement



5th April 2006

Just Saying Hello
Have been looking around trying to decide where to travel next and found your blog. Enjoying your writing and all the details you include. Bandon, Oregon
5th April 2006

best Czech restuarant
Hi...We are going tp Prague in late May...What was the name of the best Czech restuarant ? Cheers...
6th April 2006

Hey John of the world!
Send me a postcard!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything will do! But make it a pretty one. Thanks :) Oh, and let there be nice but old buildings in the background. At sunset. Or dawn, anything is fine :p Btw, looks like you have a bit of a fan base, maybe you should put a little add for your band somewhere in the blog? Or your optometry practice. Hey, your logo can be "we treat your eyes, and give your ears a treat too!"

Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb