Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
April 17th 2010
Published: April 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post


After our ‘rustic’ ride to Cesky Krumlov, we decided to catch the bus to Prague, which was a good move. This was the flashest bus I have ever been in, it had movies, wireless internet, and a snack bar. After 4 hours we arrived in Prague, we were staying at the Aaron Pension. We were greeted by ‘Yetka’ and she was one funny Czech lady and a very good hostess. Aaron Pension was good overall especially for location, and the included breakfast was great.

We were in Prague during Easter Sunday and Easter Monday, this may have been our downfall. Prague was exceptionally crowded which made it unbearable. I had high expectations for Prague but I was unfortunately disappointed with what it has to offer. All the major historical sights were covered in scaffold and if scaffold wasn’t blocking your view, people were. Charles Bridge was the worst, Bryan was pickpocketed (he only lost his cigarettes) and I was offered drugs whilst also being shoved, pushed and trampled on. The shopkeepers are like vultures and the city tours are a rip off. I also felt that Prague had seeped into the seedy world of commercialised tourism. What a way to kill the character and culture of a city.

Our Prague dining experience was also interesting. We decided to have dinner in the centre city, this meal provided cynical entertainment for all. OUR WAITRESS WAS STONED! Here are a few of the classic waitressing moments she provided.
1) Taking 20 minutes to give us a menu
2) Dropping the drinks
3) Pretending to take our order on a Marlboro packet
4) Forgetting our order 3 times
5) When bringing the food letting the food slide off the plate and into my lap
6) Bringing us the wrong food
7) Dropped another 3 or so plates (with food)
8) The food was uneatable
9) We were overcharged…this was redeemed though by the manager and we were given a free bottle of wine for our trouble.

We did go to Vysenhard which is a historical church/castle and also has a very historical cemetery. We also went to the Museum of Communism, which is ironically positioned next to the biggest McDonalds in Prague. This Museum was very informative, but the exhibition was entirely about reading on billboards with historical photos. I felt a little more could have been done to ‘liven’ it up.

I also attended an Easter Concert in the centre of Prague, which was fantastic. It was a very small and private concert focussing on major works (even ones that I know). The concert was so good that I was even able to ignore the figgety, wiggly, nose-picking brat I happened to be seated next too.

Overall: If a fair-trading claim could be made against a city, I would be making one against you Prague. You advertise the goods but fail to deliver the quality. I felt Prague was a let down for me; maybe this is due to Easter, maybe this is due to a waitress taking my order on a cigarette packet, but I don’t think you’ll be seeing this camo kitty again any time soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



21st April 2010

Same
I didn't like Prague very much either - over run by commercial ventures after the tourist dollar so in the inner city there was very little unique and way too many people - although I did get to explore a few nooks and crannies to find some cool things, like old skool cafes.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb