Prague: Debauchery, fisticuffs, sleep deprivation, and some site seeing...


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
August 23rd 2009
Published: August 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Prague has exceeded all of my expectations.

A few observations:

- Prague is a BEAUTIFUL picturesque city (especially with the Vltava River running through the town)
- Prague was mostly spared by World War II compared to many other cities in Europe and much of the ancient structures are intact
- Czech women (and other women visiting here) are amazingly beautiful and they are everywhere all over the city
- Lots of tourists in this place from all over the world
- Most people speak English here and do not expect visitors to speak Czech (considering it is not widely spoken across the world)
- People in Prague are likely to sit down with you (or welcome you to sit with them) at a pub or restaraunt in open seats at a table (and are friendly)
- Excellent beer of course (the Czech Republic is the birthplace of the Pilzner).

Traveller's note: we are staying at the Hostel Downtown - it is a nice, clean, inexpensive place and in an excellent central location in Prague - I highly recommend it for a hostel. Also, Cafe Louvre is a great spot for a bite to eat - reasonably priced, great food, and in a great setting.

The first night in Prague was a blast but got way out of control... I could write a novella based on just that night alone... the high-level cliffnotes version of the night we experienced include:

- Randomly and quickly finding a favorite local's bar (called Cafe Pub Atmosphere) very near the hostel - we were the only Americans in the place and met some very great local folks
- Double red bull vodkas
- Drinking with beautiful new Czech girlfriends
- Ending up at a crazy multi-level dance club way too late
- Fisticuffs with an evil cab driver (the cab driver lost)
- Somehow getting back to the hostel and stumbling in as the sun was coming up (the girl at the front desk said "you can't do this anymore")
- Being the victim of identity theft/credit card fraud. (bummer!!!)

Nights 2 and 3 were nuts as well. We were awake until dawn our first 3 nights here.

A highlight of night 3 was planning to call it a night at about 2 AM but instead finding a crowded and packed club * Club Vagon * right by the hostel. We decided to check it out, figuring and hoping we would walk in, think it wasn't worth staying, and then leave so we could actually get some sleep for a change. We entered to hear AC/DC "Highway to Hell" playing loudly with a PACKED dance floor and everyone grooving and having a blast - the next song was Black Sabbath "Paranoid"... needless to say we immediately ordered beers, got onto the dance floor, and stayed WAY too late. We keep doing that.

Sobering… but it is amazing to realize when in Prague that a mere 20 years ago the Czech Republic (Czechoslovakia) was shrouded behind the iron curtain of Communism. At the Museum of Communism (across from Benetton’s and above McDonald’s - go figure) it was eerie to see exhibits (and video coverage) of the “Velvet Revolution,” as well as the demonstrations and violent police response.

In 1989, with most protests against the Communist Czech government centered in Prague, plain clothes police forces would hide in the crowds, posing as demonstrators, and pick out people from the crowd for the uniformed police to joining in beating and arresting. There was footage at the museum of policeman
Drinking buddyDrinking buddyDrinking buddy

Eva and me - Czech girls are friendly. ;-)
beating an unarmed and defenseless young woman. Finally a Czech man shoved the policeman and another knocked him in the face a few times while a woman screamed at the policeman in Czech “Don’t hit girls! Don’t hit girls!” Before too long several policeman grabbed hold of the man that was defending the young lady and beat him down.

Fortunately for the people of the Czech Republic, the ultimate and eventual turnover of power from Communist leaders to Democratic leaders was smooth and without much incident beyond the demonstrations (hence the name “Velvet Revolution”).

Thanks for reading… it can’t all be about debauchery I suppose…

As I write this we just got back to the hostel from seeing Radiohead live our last night here in Prague.

Music fan's note: I am convinced thoroughly that Radiohead composes it's music specifically so that it sounds amazing live.

Prague is a FUN place with all kinds of potential for getting into the good kind of trouble.

...and the sites and history... they're good too.

Tonight is our last night in Prague. We are riding the Eurail for 9 hours to Poznan, Poland tomorrow.

Next post from Poznan. Thanks for playing!

*************************************

"Prequel" entry: (this post is longer than I planned so saved this bit for the end):

At the Denver airport on my way out for this trip I was paged over the loudspeaker at the gate and asked to report to the gate agent:

Me: “You called my name?”
Gate Agent: (looking at me and then looking a bit perplexed) “Are you blind?”
Me: “Uh… not that I’m aware of.”
Gate Agent: “Yeah, that’s what I thought… Hmmm… we have you listed as legally blind and needing assistance.”
Me: (amused) “Well, I’m not blind.”
Gate Agent: “Being legally blind means an automatic upgrade to business class.”
Me: “Wait, maybe I am blind.”
Gate Agent: (with a grin) “I’ll go ahead and leave you in business class for the hassle.”
Me: “Thank you… so dinner is served then?”
Gate Agent: “Yes, free dinner and free cocktails. So drink up!”
Me: (very happy!)

Business class was very good to me for the 9-hour flight to London.

Hopefully this quick aside has not offended any blind people that might be reading this. Wait… does that even make sense?


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

"Best New Drinking Friends" - Brigita and Lenka"Best New Drinking Friends" - Brigita and Lenka
"Best New Drinking Friends" - Brigita and Lenka

at "Cafe Pub Atmosphere" - a favorite local's haunt - we've been there enough I think we are now considered honorary locals there.
Lenka being sillyLenka being silly
Lenka being silly

She is FUNNY! Hanging out with her is a lot of laughter!


24th August 2009

If You Can Read This...
I am SO wearing sunglasses all the time for my next flight. Excellent pictures! Those Czech Chicks are way too hot, but remember, they only want you for a green card. Don't believe a word they say! Hope they have Red Bull in Poland!
24th August 2009

Reality check?
Mama Gretch glad you are always there for a healthy dose of reality - haha! I decided to save watching Hostel for when I get back so I don't freak out on this trip while staying at hostels. Regarding the "Olivia - Recession" advertisement - I'll have to keep checking that first blog entry to see if that link pops up! Hope you're having fun in Yellowstone!
24th August 2009

Crazy as ever
Drew - I love your travel blog posts!! I am just so relieved that you are getting in SOME sightseeing (outside of clubs and as evidenced in the photographs). I mean, you don't have to travel to another continent to party until dawn. Las Vegas is much closer and cheaper. I am also glad you're having a great time. However, I think your blind business class story is somehow very fishy. I mean, are any airline representatives actually friendly or hospitable these days??? I think not. (Even if you are hot). Fishy, I say!! Come home soon! I miss my friend. XOXO! Kat
24th August 2009

prizague
u never have any fun damnit!!! wish i was there with you on these adventures, i have never been! xoxoxo

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb