czech it out


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
August 17th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

wow... so prague was AMAZING. the hostel i was staying at was the nicest hostel i have ever stayed at... my room was on the top floor and every bed was a single bed, so no top bunk action, and then there was a loft up a ladder and then a few beds were behind some sliding doors... so my ten bed dorm seemed more like a six bed. also we had a great bathroom with a great shower and even a bathtub, right in the room... the kitchen was nice, there was a rad little outdoor area and there was a bar downstairs that bumped old school rap and sold insanely cheap beer. INSANELY cheap! it was less than two dolla for a half litre of beer... amazing.

i did a pub crawl on my first night there, super fun... the night gets a little fuzzy, but i remember dancing around and having a blast. a girl and i realized we could get a bottle of vodka for the same price as a beer (about three dollars), so being the thrifty backpackers we are, we missioned to a convenience store and picked up some vodka. that is probably where things got fuzzy. cheap czech vodka gets messy.

the next day i did a free walking tour, we walked around the entire city and my guide was so hilarious, i laughed til i cried... i learned a lot about czech history. i'm actually a bit of a walking history guide now, it's quite cool. the hilarious guide was promoting this other pub crawl, and i really wanted to go so when i got back to the hostel i tried to round up a posse but it was unsuccessful... i guess pub crawling two nights in a row doesn't entice everyone. ended up having a chill night, missioned around the city for a bit, and i had made some friends who lived downstairs from me, so we hung out on their balcony for a while before heading downstairs to the kitchen to make some food... which is where i looked down and realized my purse was wide open and completely empty. someone had stolen my wallet and my camera... FUCKER. at first i thought maybe they had somehow fallen off the balcony, so i did a mad search of the entire building and went into every single room below the room and searched every inch of everything... but no luck. so some stealth jerk took my stuff when i was in the kitchen WITH THEM! it's doubly annoying cuz i have been soooo careful about everything since pickpocketing is rampant, and then someone goes and takes everything in my HOSTEL! and i had just taken out a whack of money and hadn't redistributed it to my backpack, so whoever stole it totally hit the jackpot. so now it sucks, i have no cards or access to my money, so i am getting my mom to wire some to me and i will have to carry around a lot of cash. i am completely gutted that my photos are gone as well, i had the most AMAZING photos... i was doing so well at documenting everything. it's pretty much the lamest thing ever.

luckily there was a canadian guy who worked at the hostel, so i emailed him some money and he took it out of the bank for me... saved me life. so that is good. and then, clearly, i needed to drown my sorrows in a lot of booze, so we did another pubcrawl... did a lot of dancing on tables and ruckusing about... we ended up at this five story club, the biggest club in central europe... even tho really, czech is the ONLY country in central europe. anyways, it was pretty cool, there was a different party on every floor and of course the very cheap beer... and then we decided to check out this other club that these swedish guys had been on about for days... this guy tripped on acid for six days and designed this entire massive club, and it's SO EFFING INSANE!!! i can't even describe how amazing it is, everything is made out of metal... like scrap metal sculptures and things hanging and this entire wall of metal... i know it doesn't sound that cool but it's AMAZING. definitely the work of hallucinogenics. we arrived and it was really expensive to get onto each floor, so we were hanging in the courtyard when i decided to pop inside and grab a beer... which is when i realized that the lower floors are not only free, but kick SO MUCH ASS. i ran outside and rounded up the posse and we went in and it was SICK, there was just the most amazing drum and bass i have ever heard and METAL EVERYWHERE and it was absolutely all kinds of amazing. there was loads of different rooms and great music everywhere... we stayed til the wee hours of the morning then headed home. i also had a half hour massive love with a dutch guy, it was like insta chemistry but then his friends were leaving and he had to go and he was leaving the next morning... so it was over before it began. but anyways, that was a fantastic amazing night.

prague is so beautiful, it reminds me of a storybook... picturesque old buildings, massive old statues and cute little streets... we walked up to this big place, i thought it was a castle but it's actually a massive church, and there was just the most beautiful view of the city... which i would have captured but i have no effing camera. i did a LOT of walking, just exploring the city... i met quite a cool group of people at the hostel, so it was cool to have a posse. it's much cheaper than anywhere i have been yet as well, so that was awesome.

it was sad to leave prague, i had so much fun there, but it was time to move... i got a train ticket and was meant to catch the 1130 train, but the nice woman at the train station neglected to tell me that my train actually left from a different station, so when i arrived, i had to take a tram to the other one and missed the train... so i had to wait four hours for the next one, arriving at 1030pm instead of 630. because my wallet was stolen and i have no credit card info, i couldn't book a hostel online before i arrived... so when i arrived at night, i had no idea where to go. i had a pamphlet with a hostel address, so i decided to go tehre. i jumped in a taxi and he dropped me off, only to discover that the reception at that hostel was closed... disaster. so i was on the side of the road in budapest with no idea what the fuck to do. i also had no hungarian money since all the currency exchanges were closed by the time i arrived... i was close to freakin out, and nobody i asked could help me, but finally a girl spoke english and took me on the train closer to town... so i got off the train, started walking, and found a group of people and asked them for directions, and it turned out they were headed back to their hostel so i possied along and now i am staying there. after dropping my stuff off, we went out to find a pub and ran into these guys who i met in prague on a pub crawl! amazing. more friends! so i am about the head off with them to the hungarian baths... very excited. so things are good, i've hit a few roadblocks but things always work out.

updates soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb