Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
September 19th 2007
Published: October 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

PraguePraguePrague

Mucha designed art deco municiple hall
Prague

Our overnight journey to Prague was shared in a sleeping compartment which housed six bunks. Joining the train around mid-night we decided to stay awake until after the border control on the Czech border expected around 1.30am. To pass the time a bottle of Vodka was purchased and a game of ‘never never’ was played and although I was happy to take part in the game, the drinking of any form of alcohol after my previous evening was very much off the agenda.

We arrived in Prague around 7am in the morning and having dropped our bags off to the hotel, with the rooms only being available at mid-day I joined a walking tour of the city which was enjoyed in glorious sunshine over four hours.

The city highlights of the Prague were the beautiful square, its charming clock, it’s bridge of statues and its castle across the river on the hill.

During my visit to Prague I also enjoyed a visit to an exhibition of the Czech artist Alphonse Mucha whose art deco creations came to fame when he began to produce the theatre posters for the famous French actress Sarah Bernhart. I also enjoyed
PraguePraguePrague

Old Town Square
an operatic and orchestral performance that took place in an ornate and opulent theatre adjoined to their ancient university which Mozart favoured for his very first performances of his opera Don Giovanni.

During the first evening I made my way to Prague’s National Theatre to see a Czech musical comedy which was about a young couple getting divorced who are forced back together to claim an inheritance for an aging aunt. The show was great fun, helped by the English subtitles displayed over the proscenium arch stage.

The following evening I took Eniko along to their national ballet which modern choreography was performed in four parts to Czech composers music. This was dance of top quality and staging and helped to make my trip to Prague particular memorable. I will definately return to Prague and highly recommend a trip to this fascinating cosmopolitan capital city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

PraguePrague
Prague

Old Town Square Tower
PraguePrague
Prague

Czech National Theatre
PraguePrague
Prague

Charles Bridge
PraguePrague
Prague

The opulent national theatre
PraguePrague
Prague

National theatre auditorium
PraguePrague
Prague

Czech musical comedy
PraguePrague
Prague

Steak Tar Tar


Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0876s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb