prague baby yeah!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
August 7th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SETTING OFF !!SETTING OFF !!SETTING OFF !!

JUST SETTING OFF FROM MAYS HOUSE IN LEEDS
hi guys its jenny here, finally got around to writing on this thing!!

As you might have guessed were in prague now which is a great city, really beautiful with a great atmos. Its also really hot weather now, which has NOT been the case so far on this tour..............

Setting off from hull on the overnight ferry worked out really well, no hitches, and no sea sick!! the main feature of holland is that it has fantastic bike tracks everywhere, its like having a road to yourself. Despite this and the pancake flatness of the place we made quite slow progress. And, sorry, it a bit boring... The lack of hils etc makes it really tough on the pressure points. i.e. I had a sore arse!!

We got into germany 1st stop place called Kleve, thinking it would be really simple to get across to dresden on the train. WRONG. It woul have cost 200 quid and arrived at 9 at night. Not the best time to be looking for a camp site. Anyway another option was raised that ian went for straight away as it was cheap as chips.........only downside was a 5 am start. and
ian ferryian ferryian ferry

setting sail..captain Ian
4 changes!!!

Hmm que 4.30am and bucketing it down. Got absolutely soaked. The chages were fun too trying to get fully laden touring bikes down escalators and up ramps. Nearly missed one connection when we were on wrong bit of platform, and had to run for it. Only just made it, and another older couple with bikes were not so lucky.

The train took us to Nuremberg which is surprisingly a vvery pleasant city. But also where a huge nazi raleigh ground was planned.

Oh and it rained again......

From there we made a push for the czech border. First impressions were camp sites more basic, wash areas communal! but 100% cheaper than anywhere else....

The good bits were yet to come. Recently been to Cesky krumlov small town with big castle which is really lovely. Bumped into Oz couple darren and Christi who were on a 2 yr bike tour of Oz and Europe. They were staying in hotels softies! The town itself is quite touristy but def worth a visit. Ian coped surpisingly well with a trip up the town tower (great views)

The town we stayed in that night Cesky Budejovic,
jenny shipjenny shipjenny ship

..and first mate jenny
which is where Budvar beer comes from. expected therefore to be really happening and were slight disappointed to find it v quiet....still nice, and the 7 pound meal out with beers helped. I was a bit nervous about the camp site cos there were notices up saying your belongings are not safe or similar, but it turned out to be fine...................

The cycling recently has been fantastic, we found these bike trails called green ways that take you on quiet roads with just a bit of tracks through great french type countryside, not a cloud in the sky. Got my first swim in night before last at campsite by a river, this is what its all about.

generally finding time really full what with pitching and depitching tents, trying to get 50 miles a day in, reading maps, locating food, and washing clothes!! but zero stress. This is first rest day, but havent felt like i needed one............

Hope you all well and sun shines in england!! Off to find a cocktail joint xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

holland 1holland 1
holland 1

Holland...its flat...and there are bike paths...errr thats it
germany 1germany 1
germany 1

somewhere in deepest darkest germany...one of the many bouts of rain
germany 2germany 2
germany 2

Still raining...so much rain we classified it..this was type 4..makes a noise in trees..you got to do something whislt sheltering!! Ians rule number 5 no cycling in grade 3 or above rain!!
beer 1beer 1
beer 1

..the only consolation was the beers
czeck 1czeck 1
czeck 1

just entering czech at Waldmunchen..Czech us out. (lloyd will like that)
krumlov castle 1krumlov castle 1
krumlov castle 1

view from the rather beautiful Cseki Krumlov Castle Tower...
krumlov castle 2krumlov castle 2
krumlov castle 2

They have bears in the moat....BEARS!! Wow..
budevice budevice
budevice

..the emptyness of Ceski Budejovice..not a japanese in sight..they were 15km away still fascinated by the BEARS
czech 3czech 3
czech 3

coutryside was beatuiful up to prague, brillaint for cycling and getting some good weather at last..
czech 4czech 4
czech 4

camped by this larger river on the way to prague...jenny went for her first swim!!
czech 5czech 5
czech 5

Karlstejn Castle: wicked fairytale castle..one castle we wanted to actually go around. It was shut on Mondays..note to Jenny and Ian must read up more!!


8th August 2007

Soreness
Hope Jenny's arse is better now.
1st October 2007

Bohemian Forest & Vltava river valley
Yes! We've got the parcel from Budapest and it's been an absolute joy looking at the photos and following your route on the maps you posted back. I can hear Smetana ringing round the Czech countryside, cities and castles - and was that the Vltava you went swimming in, Jenny? Makes me want to replicate your tour. The blog is fantastic, so funny in parts, a comedy double act, and so much better when you have decent maps.

Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb