Castles, Clocks and Yummy Czech food


Advertisement
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
June 12th 2007
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our day started off with a guided city tour of Prague. Our guide, Eva, took us first to the Strahov Monastery located on Petrin Hill just past the Prague Castle area. The monastery, built in 1140 by Prince Vladislav II, was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in a gothic style in 1258. We took some photos of the outside of the monastery and then headed to the Loreto, a baroque church from the 17th centu... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Astronomical ClockAstronomical Clock
Astronomical Clock

"The Walk of the Apostles" seen at 12 noon on the Astronomical Clock (note the figures appearing in the small windows).
Powder TowerPowder Tower
Powder Tower

The Old Town Powder Tower, built in 1475 as one of the city's major gateways, marks the beginning of the Royal Route along which Bohemian monarchs would parade on their way to be crowned at St. Vitus Cathedral at Prague Castle. The tower was also the daily meeting place for writers Franz Kafka and Max Brod.
Monumunt to the Victims of CommunismMonumunt to the Victims of Communism
Monumunt to the Victims of Communism

This monument, created by Czech sculpton Olbram Zoubeck, commemorates the victims of communism and is located on Ujezd St. near Petrin Hill. There are seven figures, each in various states of destruction (the worst in back), descending the stone steps.
Monumunt to the Victims of CommunismMonumunt to the Victims of Communism
Monumunt to the Victims of Communism

Another view of the monument...
FunicularFunicular
Funicular

The lazy person's way to get to Petrin Hill (and the "fun" way too...get it? "Fun"icular...I know, I'm a dork)
Petrin ParkPetrin Park
Petrin Park

View of the mini Eiffel Tower (I'm not sure what the building on the right is)...
Petrin TowerPetrin Tower
Petrin Tower

Petrin Tower, a mini replica of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, was built for the 1891 Exhibition in Prague.
Petrin TowerPetrin Tower
Petrin Tower

Petrin Tower, a mini replica of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, was built for the 1891 Exhibition in Prague.
Municipal HouseMunicipal House
Municipal House

The Municipal House, an Art Nouveau building, constructed in the early 20th century, hosts concerts and exhibitions (and is also the location of the yummy Plzenska restaurant!).
Plzenska RestauracePlzenska Restaurace
Plzenska Restaurace

Inside of the Plzenska Restaurace, located in the basement level of the Municipal House. The food and atmosphere here is awesome! A little pricey, but certainly worth at least one visit.
Pilsner UrquellPilsner Urquell
Pilsner Urquell

I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture, but this beer was HUGE!!!!!
Dinner!Dinner!
Dinner!

This vegetable risotto was sooooo good, my mouth is watering just looking at this photo!
The National MuseumThe National Museum
The National Museum

The National Museum, located at one end of Wenceslas Square...
The National MuseumThe National Museum
The National Museum

The National Museum and Equestrian Statue of St. Wenceslas, located at one end of Wenceslas Square...the statue is a favorite meeting place (which is why there is no hope of getting a photo without a ton of people sitting on it).



14th June 2007

It sounds like you're seeing some stunning architecture while you're there, I'm very jealous and looking forward to the photos so much! Yay, I'm glad you got to see a full clock show. I like the idea of the crowd suddenly appearing as noon approaches and then just as suddenly leaving after applauding. :D That sounds like a very handy menu for a restaurant to have indeed, hope you manage to try the Palacinky, (sounds tasty) and that the weather holds for your walking.

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 19; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb