Slip Slid'n in Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
December 29th 2014
Published: December 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We woke to a drifting down of large snow flakes and a covering of snow everywhere. It looked chilly so we layered up accordingly and set off for a morning of shopping leaving the walking for tomorrow. Walking on the cobbles was trecherous as they are mostly small and smooth. With a layer of snow they had iced up or turned to slush and it was too easy to slide over. After yesterday's cold we had put on several layers of clothes and soon realised that despite the snow it wasn't as cold as yesterday and we were soon sweltering and carrying our outer wear in the shops. We were looking for some tramping boots and maybe some glassware. The boots we found and headed quickly back to the hotel to shed some layers.

Regarding the shops, there are a broad range of malls, brand names and souvenir shops. As much as I like clothes and shoes I found them to be boring. There seem to be predetermined colours with clothing, and footwear was almost solely boots in black, black and brown. Boy, are we lucky at home with our variety of styles and colours.

The snow soon stopped
Street musiciansStreet musiciansStreet musicians

They had to work at keeping warm
falling and pavements turned to slush where most foot traffic was. The town becomes a 'zoo' in the afternoon. There are hoards of people everywhere. Goodness knows what summer time is like. But, the shear numbers of people did help to make the pavements safer to walk on. We checked out Bohemian glass but none was to our taste. It was mostly intricately patterned crystal which, though beautiful, is not our style. We should have bought glassware whilst in Germany which wasn't so traditional. Too late now.

After a typical Czech meal of mostly meat we made our way back to the hotel to get out of the crowds and slippery pavements. On the way we were entertained by street musicians. It is worth mentioning that there has been some excellent street music. We've heard piano, singing, guitar, drums and jazz as well as mime, puppetry, and begging. Mostly, the musicians have been very good. Men pumping for business for restaurants, clubs or sex are constantly out being a nuisance on the street, standing on corners or handing out pamphlets.

Hopefully the snow will not continue so we can do our own walking tour tomorrow on thawed pavements.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb