Central Europe Tour:Day 04 - Prague, Czech


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
June 27th 2013
Published: July 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

This morning was very similar to yesterday. Weather was much better today. We finished our breakfast in the hotel. Since we are not too far from the attractions, we decided to walk toward the main square called - Wenceslas. The train station is very close to the square. We went to the station first to make reservations for Vienna travel. We were able to complete the reservation in no time since we already had tickets with us. All we needed was to make seat reservations in the train for 4 additional euros. We walked to Wenceslas Square as the starting point. This road leads all the way to the old town square. It is a well kept thoroughfare with walkway in the middle of the road. National Museum is at the start of this road. The main building was closed for renovation and hence we skipped the museum as a whole. It is supposedly a good one to know more about Czech republic. As we headed toward the old square, Praveen's shoe laces gave out. We were lucky to find a Bata store on the way! We bought spare laces there and changed it. The old town square area is very big with plenty of historical buildings. Lot of small feeder roads feed into this area. When you reach this square, one would notice this vast common cobbled area with tons of tourists and many activities going on at the same time, Our first stop was the Astronomical clock tower. This was built during 15th century that can show 4 different types of time (Gregorian, Julian, Babylon etc). As we were admiring the clock a wedding was taking place in the near by church. A tour group of basketball players were posing with the Chinese couple who were getting married here! We headed to the top tower over the clock to get a panoramic view of the old square and the city. We also got a guided tour of the old buildings in this area. This used to be a king's palace, court room and a dungeon etc. The tour guide was able to explain in good English all the nuances of this area and the time period when this was a bustling place. It was already around 2 PM. Kids had already spotted couple of places where they could have lunch. One such place was a Pizza restaurant called Giovannis. We ordered wild mushroom and Primevera pies. They were excellent and quite big as well. After this satisfactory meal we headed toward the Jewish Quarters. Here there are six different area of interest for one price spread out in a neighborhood. It is mostly synagogues and memorials. Tickets were a bit expensive. When we completed this tour it was already 6 PM. We came back to the old square and watched some of the street shows there. Kids had Gelato. This is a great place to hang out and watch the crowd. The weather was perfect to just sit there and stare at these old buildings and towering churches. By 7 PM we headed toward the recommended "Lehka Hlava Bokov", vegetarian restaurant for dinner. It was tucked in a side street. To our disappointment there no open table available that night. All of us were tired of walking but we did not have much choice other than to walk toward our hotel which is about 30 minutes away. Our plan was to eat in a place on the way. We were lucky to find one in a Thai restaurant "Lemon Leaf" thai. This place had limited vegetarian choices but we thought this should be good enough. To our surprise, the food was very decent and kids ordered another round of Veg fried rice since it tasted so good. Food tastes better when you are in vacation mood! One surprising thing in this place is that tofu was not served since it was not in season! It was 9:30 PM when we got back to our hotel.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb