Prague - The Beautiful City of a 100 Spires!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
October 7th 2019
Published: October 13th 2019
Edit Blog Post

The date is October 5th, so it is my birthday. At breakfast in the Berlin Hotel restaurant the waiters serve me a huge piece of cake.

Back on the train to land in Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC, with a temperature of 8 degrees C, and a city that was once home to the slave market.

In the morning, it is down to old town. Walking, every time you look up, left or right, or turn a corner, there is something amazing to look at. The architecture is gorgeous, and eye candy for every person and photographer.

Designed in the Gothic style is the Charles Bridge lined with 17th Century Baroque statues. There are many artists and musicians along the way. We stumble on the Ice Pub, and decide to give it a go. Gloves, and a poncho are provided as it is -10 inside. The pub is completely made of ice; walls, chairs, tables, and art. You can only stay a maximum of 20 minutes. Each of us receive a drink served in a glass made of ice. My kiwi juice is amazingly fresh. Chris says that is the coldest beer he has ever had. Am surprised our lips do not stick to the glass made of ice.

Tickets are purchased to attend a concert held in the Lobkowicz Palace which is actually also housed within the Prague castle, the largest castle in the world. After waiting 90 minutes, we discover that there are two buildings with the same name, but this one we are in front of is the German embassy. So it is walk, walk, walk, up, up, up, and then get to our seats two minutes before the music commences. This beautiful venue features a talented trio of pianist, flutist, and violinist. A very pleasant hour.

The medieval Astronomical clock has special mechanisms to display positions of the moon, sun, constellations, and at times the planets. Every hour, twelve Apostle figures move and appear in the doorways above the clock. Prague is called ”the city of a hundred spires.” It is at the same latitude as Vancouver, and receives over 8 million tourists a year. Having walked so much on cobblestones, my toes are even starting to get cramps.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



13th October 2019
The Ice Pub - Had to do it!

Travels
Happy belated Birthday Cathy ! ...what a fun way to celebrate ! Thank God for your good health as the trip continues . Great pictures of Austria
13th October 2019
The Ice Pub - Had to do it!

Travels
Happy belated Birthday Cathy ! ...what a fun way to celebrate ! Thank God for your good health as the trip continues . Great pictures of Austria

Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0937s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb