Prague, The Jewish Quarter


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Malá Strana
November 23rd 2009
Published: November 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Jewish Family NamesJewish Family NamesJewish Family Names

The walls were covered from floor to ceiling on multiple levels.
I saved the Jewish Quarter for when my aunt, Cynthia and her friend, Anne came! So, it was their first day in Prague. They just arrived last night. We met at Malostranska and walked across the bridge. I showed them my academic building on the way to the Jewish quarter and they were pretty impressed. We all got tickets to see six sights of the Jewish Quarter museum... They were kind of expensive- 300 crowns each, but I got the student discount 😊 We saw the cemetery where over a quarter million Jews were buried in a grave yard smaller than a soccer field. They apparently were buried on top of each other because they weren't aloud any more land for living or to bury the dead.

Next, we saw the Spanish synagogue. It was very elaborate and beautiful. I even got a few pictures in there! We went into a building with the family names of people who died in concentration camps. Two floors of walls were covered by these names. They also had a room of drawings that Jewish children drew when they were in the camps. We went into a museum full of old Jewish religious things.
Jewish Children's DrawingsJewish Children's DrawingsJewish Children's Drawings

They drew these pictures in concentration camps.


After we had seen everything, we went to the Pub. It's not just a pub, it THE Pub. It is a pub that serves Pilsner beer, but they don't just serve it, there are taps at each table in the center. So you serve yourself and you keep track of it with a screen in the middle. It keeps track of how much you have drank, so the tables compete at night. It's a chain, so other Pubs in the Czech compete with each other. The first month we were here, some of us went to the Pub, and we were the winners of all of Czech! But anyway, the food was pretty good and we were all pretty happy.

Later that night after I had class, I took them to a traditional Czech restaurant. They were glad they tried it once, but they agree with me, Czech food is a little bit bland. We had pork and duck. And unlike most Czech servers, our server was very nice for a change. After dinner, we walked down the hill from the castle, across the bridge, along the rive, and past the National Theatre to their hotel.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb