Day 18


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Olomouc Region » Olomouc
July 26th 2006
Published: July 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In exactly 6 months I will be 21, which means I can legally drink in the US.

Today was another day in Olomouc. We had to check out of the dorms by 9:30. We went to an awesome cafe by a lot of the school buildings in town for breakfast. They had real orange juice, basically orange juice that is not extremely watered-down, so I was pretty excited about that.

We met up for class after breakfast. The Vice Rector guy who gave us the tour yesterday lectured about the break-up of communism, which was really interesting. I had never really learned too much about communism before, I mean I knew the basics (communism = bad) but it is very interesting to learn about it in a place and with people who actually experienced it.

After class we went to the Archdiocesan Museum. Sidenote: the Czech Republic is predominantly atheist, which is really surprising since there are churches everywhere. Anyway, they had a lot of statues and paintings and chalices and monstrances, so that was pretty cool to see.

After that we went to an art museum. They had an exhibit on Czech rock art, which featured a lot of album covers and posters and the like of American and British rock stars (not really sure how that is Czech rock art, but whatever). It was interesting enough but not too time consuming.

After that the teachers set us free to hang out in the city. The five of us (Maxine, Sarah, Rachel, Dionne, and I) went to lunch and then went shopping. We spent a lot of time in the crystal stores and other than that we just walked around.

Our train left at about 6. We had another 3 hour train ride, but this time we were not riding in compartments, the seats were more like on planes, so that was disappointing. We slept and listened to iPods. Now we are back in Prague.

Tomorrow the five of us are going to the Prague castle (finally!) and then meeting up with the class to go to the Kafka Museum in the afternoon.

I will hopefully post the Olomouc pictures to facebook tonight. Feel free to check them but I will repost the link tomorrow when they are up for sure (and there will probably be Prague castle pictures too!)

Advertisement



27th July 2006

Drinking?
Getting used to the legal drinking? I guess that makes you long for your birthday. Glad you like your teachers so much. It will make your experiences even better!! Enjoy the castle tomorrow! Love you much!!
27th July 2006

Six Months???
I just can't believe that our little girl will be 21 in only 6 months. You're really making me feel old. At least i don't have any gray hair yet!?!? I looked for your Olomouc pictures but i guess you haven't had a chance to post yet. I'll look again tonight. Mom and I won't be home until closer to 5:00 our time tonight so if you're still up at midnight you can look for us then. Love you! -----Dad

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb