My first trip to the Czech republic


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Moravian-Silesian Region » Ostrava
February 12th 2015
Published: February 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This is not only my first visit to the Czech republic but also my first enter into Travel blog. I have meant to blog about my travels since I read Judy Lay's blog but without success until now. (Judy Lay is my role model on this, we met in Crakow in 2006 - then again in Iceland but unfortunately I lost connetion to her, which I am so sorry for).

As for my visit to the Czech republic- I am staying in Ostrava. I have a meeting here for two days, otherwise I would probably have chosen Prag (Praha). My trip began at Keflavik international airport yesterday and I flew to Copenhagen. I managed to sleep all through the flight so that was an easy one. I went into the city of Copenhagen and checked my family into Wake Up hotel, which is nice and neat, but the rooms are small like a wardrobe. Close to the hotel is the mall Fisketorvet where we had lunch in a restaurant I believe is called the President. It had pictures of all the american presidents hanging on the walls, and it was very americanized. I had a Nixon burger which was tasty and the bread was made frome wholewheat.

Well, later in the afternoon I took a taxi to Kastrup airport - it only took about 15 minutes, I don't remember the price but I think I paid 300 kronur. I then checked in with air berlin and the man at the desk was most helpful and nice. He told me not to worry about Berlin-Tegel airport which he said was small, and gave me a map to find my way around. The flight was about an hour and was easy. I managed to sleep at least 2/3 of it. The man was right about Tegel, and I found my way quickly to the Crakowian flight- also with air berlin. I had to wait though for an hour and a half. The plane to Crakow was smaller and a lot noiser than the one before. I couldn't sleep and I took a coffee, while my seat mate took gin and tonic. The flight was maybe an hour and a quarter and I was bored. I was really relieved when we landed.

In Belize airport things went very smoothly and I soon got my luggage and was out. I took a taxi to the hotel down town - Andel's hotel Crakowia, (The taxi driver was very nice and offered to drive me to Ostrava for 200 euros, but I declined). This hotel I had chosen especially because it was so close to the railway station where I was supposed to take a train at 6:10 next morning (today). After checking in I asked the concierce how to get to the "train" - called Tiger-express. He got on line to find out and told me I had to go through the galleria Krakowska and to the train station and probably to the top floor to the parking lot and it would not be a train but a bus. I went to sleep utterly secure, but I was very hungry because I hadn't eaten since I had the Nixon burger. It was already midnight and all restaurants were closed. But when I unpacked my luggage I found dry fish (harðfiskur) which is a traditional Icelandic food, in my suitcase, which I had intended to bring to the meeting. I didn't eat it all but it definitely saved my life, like it probably did for people in Iceland for centuries.

I was really stressed when I got up, and knowing the timelessness of my self I was out from the hotel 45 minutes before I had to catch the bus. That means 5:25 am. But here comes the confusing part of my travels. Because I was so early, there were no Information desks open yet. And the people I asked for directions to the "parking lot" gave me either no information or wrong information. At 6:10 and I still hadn't found Tiger-express I was about to burst into tears. Then a miracle happened. The bus driver called me and told me they were waiting for me (in the parking lot). But he wasn't any good in giving directions so I asked the first guy I saw to help me and put him on the phone. He apparently knew where to go so I followed him. Yes, that's me, trusting strangers! I felt really embarrassed when he asked me if this was my first time in Crakow. Although I didn't tell him this was my 15th time, I admitted being there before. Finally we entered the "parking lot" and I said goodbye and thanks to the gentleman who escorted me there without even getting his name. Turned out the "parking lot" of Tiger-express was right across the street from my hotel and I could have slept until 6:00.

The busdrive was maybe 2 hours, who cares? I slept all the way in a Tiger-express bus with 4 other women. And I made it to Ostrava on time!

I didn't see much of Ostrava today, as I was busy at meetings all day. But the prices here are NICE, even better than in Poland. And the currency is called krona. Let me get back to you later!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb