Malá Skála Rock Maze


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had lunch here, peanut butter and jelly sandwich.We had lunch here, peanut butter and jelly sandwich.We had lunch here, peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

The village can be seen in the lower right portion of the photo.

The Rock Maze near Malá Skála



On our hike through the hills around Malá Skála we entered several places where there were natural rock mazes. During the days of religious persecution Czech Brethren often hid in these areas. One was the refuge where Václav Sadovský ze Sloupna hid. We happened to be walking with three Czechs when we entered this particular place. The woman spoke to her husband and son who then son told us, "She said this is where Sadovský hid." Not five minutes before reaching this point I had said to Nancy, "This would be a great place to hide." Fortunately the trail was well marked. Otherwise we would have become completely lost and would still be wandering around among these bolders. The rocks are huge, some at least 70 or more feet in height. The passageways are often narrow, like slot canyons in the American Southwest. We hope you enjoy the photographs. While we were coming out of one very complex part of the maze, talking to each other, we passed two pretty young women. Suddenly one of them ran back around the rock and said, "Are you Americans?" She was the daughter of two Czechs who moved to the USA during the Soviet era. She had come to spend a year living with her grandmother so she could be really introduced to the country. She said her Czech is now really good and she loves the country and being with her grandma. She was excited to hear accents which obviously spoke of the home where she was raised but also excited to be finding out how it is to be a Czech.

Three times the path climbed out to the top of these boulders where there are fantastic views of the Malá Skála countryside. This is beautiful country.





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Steps made it easy to follow the trail.Steps made it easy to follow the trail.
Steps made it easy to follow the trail.

But not all places had steps.
Now where do we go?Now where do we go?
Now where do we go?

This is one of the hiding places. See the little green marker on the rock?
Stone carved steps.Stone carved steps.
Stone carved steps.

This is a small but welcome set of steps. Others were much longer.


Tot: 0.473s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 171; dbt: 0.2218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb