Kutná Hora, CZ


Advertisement
Published: October 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ever since I found out about this "Bone Church" in Kutna Hora, I have been dying to check this place out!! It was definitely one of my favorite places to visit. The Sedlec Ossuary (Bone Church) is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints. The ossuary is estimated to contain the skeletons of between 40,000 and 70,000 people, many of whom have had their bones artistically arranged to form decorations and furnishings for the chapel. During the black plague many people were buried in the cemetary and eventually the cemetary had to be enlarged. After 1511 the task of exhuming skeletons and stacking their bones in the chapel was, according to legend, given to a half-blind monk of the order. Unfortunately this task was never completed by the monk and about 250 years later in 1870 a woodcarver was employed by an aristocratic family to put the bone heaps into order. The largest collections of bones are arranged in the form of bells in the four corners of the chapel. The Ossuary also contains a bone chandelier made up of every bone of the human body!! This place was so cool!! It drew all of the "outcasts" to this attraction. The usual tourıst attractıons that Emily and I have gone to are usually attracting the typical families or senior tour groups. Here you saw the alternative crowd: goths, rockers, punks, metal heads it was awesome!!

And we popped into a local dive bar and tried their local brew Dačický. Delicious!




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



2nd November 2009

Holy poo.
That is the creepiest/coolest thing EVER.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb