Croatia & Slovenia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
December 9th 2007
Published: December 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Eating in TransitEating in TransitEating in Transit

such a healthy balance we managed during our travels!
Hello all,

Slovenia was a wonderful little haven for us. We managed to stop there in a little hotel that was not far from a lake that stretched into the horizon, though it seemed to be constantly cradled by a blanket of misty fog. The first day we settled in and made our way meandering through the tiny towns (if you can call them that) sprinkled about the lake, and then found ourselves on the path leading around the lake itself. We again, attempted to skip some rocks and throw each other in, and as the sun set, realized we were to be dining at the only restaurant open in any of the local towns (traveling off-season does present some challenges!)

So, after a lovely dinner, we made our way back for one of the best nights of the trip... we relaxed in the room that was complete with a heater by our bed, and a heated towel rack, a nice little desk in the corner, a chair in the other corner and a wardrobe against the wall. It was a small room, but the bed was one of the most comfortable, and everything was fantastically clean, soft, and
John...John...John...

Enjoyin the veiw in style
fresh. So, we took full advantage and even enjoyed the tilted window on the roof... thought we did have to close it half way through the night rather than heat the stars.

The next day, we were off again, following another trail, and despite our initial excitement, it turned out to be one of the worst hikes we had ever been on! You see, with all the snow in the mountains, the conditions were such that we weren't able to do any hikes with elevation (which happened to consist of all the hikes but two). Now, normally, that wouldn’t be such an issue, but the trail turned out to be the road that wound around the lake. So, we hiked along the cement road for 9 kilometers, and finally reached the other side of the lake, where there was a brief 20-minute hike to a beautiful waterfall. Luckily, the waterfall was so spectacular, it almost made up for the earlier "hike" but, in the dusk of the evening, as we were prepping ourselves for the long, uneventful, trudge home, we suddenly remembered our thumbs, and decided hitchhiking was a much better alternative.

Within a few seconds, a car
waterfallswaterfallswaterfalls

glacier, of course!
pulled over. We were delighted and started walking towards it when the passenger jumped out and made forceful signs for us to freeze. We stopped immediately and I said to John, they must be dropping her off and not wanting to pick us up. We were about to turn around, on our way, when we realized the man was jumping out of the car as well and running towards us. This kind Bulgarian couple was more than happy to give us a lift, but they had a vicious guard dog in the back and needed us to stay away while they juggled the seats. Well, with more than a little hesitation, as the dog fought her owner to come take a chunk out of us, we agreed that we would ride in the back once they had muzzled the creature and pinned her in the front passenger seat with one of her owners.

To our great pleasure, the dog did eventually settle down, and we made it to the other side of the lake in one piece! And once out of the car, ran for our lives while they waited sufficient time for us to disappear before taking her
The still and mystic lake...The still and mystic lake...The still and mystic lake...

it was a relaxing place... but there was always a mist over the lake...
out and returning the guard dog to her back seat. So, who knew the attacking dangers of hitching extended to animals as well as people?!

More to come...

Trish xxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

And somehow...And somehow...
And somehow...

the lake was still appealing...
The lake from a distance...The lake from a distance...
The lake from a distance...

still covered in a mist!
John found a christmas treeJohn found a christmas tree
John found a christmas tree

charley brown size... my favourite!
A little guy we ran into...A little guy we ran into...
A little guy we ran into...

just grazing by the lake


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb