Croatian Short Stories - The Island Krk


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Istria » Krk
August 20th 2020
Published: September 14th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Krk is the name of an island in the Kvarner Bay (Northern part of the Croatian Adriatic, off the coast of the large city of Rijeka). Krk is the largest island in the Adriatic, covering 406 square km. It is also one of the most populous with 17,000 permanent inhabitants (excluding the tourism population). It is well developed and can get very busy with tourists in July and August, as it is connected by a bridge to the mainland. Rijeka's Airport is also located on the island. The main resorts on the island are Malinska, Omisalj, Vrbnik, Punat and Krk Town, as well as Baska, popular because of its natural sandy beach, a rarity on the Croatian Adriatic.

Nenad used to spend time here with his parents in the 1960's (omg), and has not been ever since. It was a bit exciting although Krk does not feature among the nicest islands. After our hectic stay in Istria, we welcomed the quietness of Krk where we decided to stay in the town Krk itself. Being the end of August and despite the calling back of its citizens by Slovenia, Austria and Italy, many tourists still stayed on, having not very friendly
words about their Governments, the town of Krk was still bustling without being overcrowded.

As so many other places it was influenced by Greek, Roman, Venetian, Habsburg, modern Italian and Slavic periods. For Nenad he was delighted to discover that a Zrinski lady was sent to Krk castle in the 15th century to marry one of the Frankopan heirs. Some Zrinski's are domiciled around the town of Cakovec, Nenad's hometown, who's castle we shall visit later during this Croatia trip. The Frankopans rose to power as Dukes combining several families in the region. They allied with the Duke of Zrinsk, who was the most powerful feudal ruler on the Croatian mainland, until its Ottoman conquest. This political independence and economic riches of Krk and the Frankopans lasted throughout the 15th to 17th century. Many historic buildings and relics are still to be seen today of this era.

We enjoyed seafood in the famous Frankopan Restaurant in Krk next to their beautiful little church and city walls. Nui's very detailed and patient extraction of every smallest bit of the shrimp meat from all shrimp parts impressed the local waiters and they all kept coming to comment. They had time
Enjoying sun and seaEnjoying sun and seaEnjoying sun and sea

Who says Thai ladies do not like sun bathing
for us, impossible in other years. The highlight was the visit of an olive plantation high up in the hills, with a wonderful restaurant overlooking the islands bays and a gorgeous sunset. Sunsets are very common in the Croatian Adriatic, as the coast is pointing westward towards the setting of the sun. So if you are into sunset romance, one more reason to come to the Croatian Adriatic.

After our brief but relaxed stay we were driving further South on the famous Jadranska Magistrala (Adriatic Highway), passing dozens of bays and coastal towns one more pretty that the other, heading towards our Dalmatian base camp destination of Vodice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Feet up train fiakaFeet up train fiaka
Feet up train fiaka

what fiaka is, later....
to the plantation restaurantto the plantation restaurant
to the plantation restaurant

Ulika Punat Restoran







Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb