A meld of old and new


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
April 15th 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.5127, 16.4424

The town of Split is built upon the remains of Diocletians Palace. The original Palace built by Diocletian for his retirement was huge with incredibly thick walls and large basements. Today you can walk around the remaining basement halls and see the thickness of the walls and foundations. There are lots of market stalls within the walls lining the way to the stairs up from the foundations.
The Cathedral of St.Duje the patron saint is worth a visit but if you want to go up the tower or to the Treasury or crypt there is a charge of several more Kuna.
We went round the local art gallery which has some renaissance but mostly wierd modern art so only go if you are a real art fan.
There were plenty of outside market stalls selling fruit, vegetables and clothes for the locals. The socks I bought there were the best pair I have ever had!
As it was a sunny day we chose a busy outside bar for our beers and sat and watched the local life.
What is most fascinating about the town is that all the old bits of the palace have not been removed but have been incorporated into the new buildings so there is a funny mixture of houses nestling among roman ruins and using some of the walls as part of their building and yet it all seems to work.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



10th June 2010

Hi Tiz, lovely blog, you have been to so many places! Just so you know I don't check my annashopaholic email very much anymore so if you could change my email in your address book to annatrzebinski@hotmail.com thankyou! xxxxx

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb