Day 30: Ferry to Split


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
June 23rd 2012
Published: June 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Our Sobe courtyardOur Sobe courtyardOur Sobe courtyard

Under the courtyard umbrella
Today was a day of travel, as will be the next 2 as well. We had a taxi pick us up at the apartment at 11:30, bus to Vela Luka, Korkula (west end of the island) at 12:15-1:20pm, and ferry ride to Split at 1:45-4:30. This was the nicest Adriatic ferry we have been on. The AC worked really well, and it was newly decorated. Only bad part was a group of restless 30+ 4thgraders who were very loud!



We arrived in Split on time at 4:30pm in the afternoon. We were met by the sobe owners, husband and wife team, so nice, who dragged our bags along the waterfront and up into the old town apartment… only a couple of stairs on the whole trip! They gave us a beer on the patio while they explained the details of the room. It was very hot, around 96+. The unit has AC, WIFI, and a pot to boil water (that is the "kitchenette"). Their children got out of school last week and the husband wasgetting ready to take the girls up to his parents’ home on a lake an hour from here. He likes to fish there.



The northern anchor of the Dalmatian Coast is Split, Croatia's second-largest city. It is a port for all of Croatia with strong water ties to Italy, and most people here speak some Italian. While most Croatian coastal towns feel made for tourists, Split is real, vibrant, and bustling. Split's history goes way back to the Roman emperor Diocletian, who built his massive (HUGE) retirement palace here. Eventually, the palace was abandoned, and a medieval town sprouted in side the walls from the ancient rubble. To this day, 2,000 people live or work inside the former palace walls. A maze of narrow alleys is home to fashionable boutiques and galleries... and you will see Roman artifacts around every corner.



We walked around the old town and had a beer in front of the cathedral in the Palace. It was too hot to do much but watch the people. The stairs of the cathedral are actually a bar, with pillows to sit on!



We went to a local place for an early dinner, 7:30. The restaurant was packed but there was room inside. That was very nice, cool and quiet! We could watch the soccer game on TV too. We had a first course of very very salty sardines, then fried sea bass (a whole fish) and then a salad. The house wine was very good too.



Back to the sobe for a nice sleep in AC under a blanket!!!



More Photos Below


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

View from ferryView from ferry
View from ferry

The cloud/rain did not materialize... just a mirage
SardinesSardines
Sardines

Very very salty
Approaching Split by FerryApproaching Split by Ferry
Approaching Split by Ferry

This boat cut in front of us so close that he got a loud toot of the ferry horn!
Ferry LoungeFerry Lounge
Ferry Lounge

The nicest we've been on
Sobe in SplitSobe in Split
Sobe in Split

On a very old street... inside a little courtyard with umbrella and table in the shade.
our "kitchenette"our "kitchenette"
our "kitchenette"

Gary boiled the eggs in the water heater!
Bus from Korcula City ot Vela Luka, KorculaBus from Korcula City ot Vela Luka, Korcula
Bus from Korcula City ot Vela Luka, Korcula

One end of the island to the other... different ferries.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb