Croatia - Korcula Town


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Korcula
May 21st 2008
Published: August 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 21 May 2008

When we arrived in Korcula Town we stored our bags at the bus station office which involved chaining them to a drain pipe in the corner of the ticket office.

We set off through the old town centre. It's quite small and you could walk through every street in less than half an hour. But it was was attractive and there were so many interesting things to see that we spent half the day wandering. First stop was the Gradski Muzej Korcula which is the town museum and is located in a small stone house. It was very interesting, especially the old chart of land laws on the wall that stated that land must not be subdivided and must stay in the hands of descendants of original inhabitants of the town. Punishment was death!

St Mark's Cathedral was beautiful. We tried to hire some kayaks for the afternoon because the water was SOOO beautiful but it wasn't going to be possible without a day notice and/or a vehicle.We had a delicious lunch of local bread and cheese before walking along the shoreline in both directions from the town. Heading right along the shore from town we wandered through a private resort and along a rocky waterside path. We stopped to rest and paddled our feet. The water was so clear and so cold! - have to also watch out for all the urchins.

For dinner we ate pizza from a local restaurant overlooking the port. For some reason there seemed to be Italian food EVERYWHERE - maybe something to do with Marco Polo and the Venetian invasion(s). There were also shops everywhere selling Marco Polo merchandise as Korcula was apparently his place of birth.

Soon after we headed back to the bus station and waited for the long ride to Zagreb. The first leg of the journey took us part way around the island to another port where the bus boarded a ferry to the mainland. The sun set over the beautiful Adriatic as we set tyres on the mainland of Croatia.






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb