Did you hear the one about, Cersi Lannister, Chewbacca and two Aussies walking into a bar in Dubrovnik?


Advertisement
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
September 17th 2016
Published: September 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Day 237 Sunday 11th September 2016 – Mostar to Dubrovnik Up and in the garden for breakfast surrounded by all the fruit trees and no cockatoos or possums shredding them which happens in my garden at home. It has been a lovely stay but it is time to move onto Dubrovnik in Croatia so did the 15 minute walk up to the station for our 12.30pm bus. Ag... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Overlooking the port
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Laneway
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Early morning - no crowds
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Early morning
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Entrance
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Laneway
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Early morning deliveries
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Church Facade
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Water fountain
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Old Church
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

City Walls
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Pile Gate
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Pile Gate in the early morning
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Church
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Inside Church
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Late Afternoon from the walls
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Domes and Towers
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

City and Lokrum Island
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Pile Gate from above
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Bell tower and walls
DubrovnikDubrovnik
Dubrovnik

Grand Entrance



17th September 2016

Pricey Dubrovnik
I have heard that Croatia became quite expensive in the recent years, but 7-12 dollars for a small beer sounds more like a rip off! Shame about the crowds as well... It looks like a beautiful town though so no wonder so many people want to go there. Sounds like the kayaking was just the right thing to do to leave a good memory about the city before moving on to the next destination. Hoping to get there this year at some stage as well, maybe it will be less crowded? Wishful thinking...
17th September 2016

Pricey Dubrovnik
Don't let us put you off, Dubrovnik is popular for a good reason. Set your budget, seek out bargains where you can and just enjoy. Couldn't stand Prague but somehow Dubrovnik was a lot less offensive, perhaps it is the sea breeze, perhaps it is learning lessons on how to deal with the crowds or perhaps I am excepting the crowds a bit better. Dubrovnik is worth the effort.
18th September 2016
Dubrovnik

City Walls!
Good for you for splurging out on the city walls--one of my favorite things to do--fab perspectives! Very clever fixing the washer, walking in the early morning and kayaking far from the madding crowds. So bizarre that when I was there, also in the summer, just a decade ago, the crowds were nothing though on long journeys, I tend to go to the unpopular/undiscovered spots in high season. I used to think I had traveled backwards--easy Europe when I was young, leaving trickier Asia and South America for later. Who would have thought Europe would be so overrun with tourists? The population stats on permanent residents was beyond scary, bordering on Disneyland.
19th September 2016
Dubrovnik

City Walls!
We always had the plan to do the hard stuff like Middle East, India and South America while we were fit and could climb and endure extreme situations and leave Europe till when we were older but we have changed our minds now and think Europe is to be done when you are young and crowds mean nothing and you are just there to party and enjoy life to the maximum. Of course if you cannot do that just wait till you are 90 get a wheelchair and jump on a cruise liner.
21st September 2016

Love love love the photos!
I can totally understand your love/hate relationship with this place. I was going to say that this would probably be another place for the shoulder or off season list, but after looking at the gorgeous summer light in your photos, I would almost say it was worth the masses of tourists :)
21st September 2016

Love love love the photos!
Thanks guys, The good news for you is that the place was worth the pain although after a bit of thinking back we would perhaps not stay inside the old city but outside the walls where food and drinks are cheaper. The bad news is that we were there technically on the shoulder, but that depends on who you are talking to.
29th September 2016
Dubrovnik

Laundry nightmares and more
I love these kind of street scenes. Yikes, the laundry bit sound horrid. Being able to cook for yourself on the road is such a treat and you two have been at this a long time. I'm certain that was enjoyed. What a fabulous place to kayak. Always glad to hear your impression positive and negative to get a balance and a feel for the location. Thanks again.
30th September 2016
Dubrovnik

Laundry nightmares and more
The kayaking certainly softened my opinion of Dubrovnik. If the place was cheaper it would have made dealing with the crowds a little bit easier, but it is very pleasing to the eye.
1st November 2016

Fantastic!
Wow....love the walls and the pic's of the subsets are amazing....crowds, sadly thats what one has to put up with....never got as far as Dubrovnik when I was in Croatia...next time :).
1st November 2016

Fantastic!
Such a love hate relationship with Dubrov, Shelley would give it a thumbs up but not sure I would. Cannot wait to meet up with you again when we hit Aus.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb