One of our favourite countries so far....Croatia ♥♥♥


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
July 19th 2013
Published: July 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Getting to Croatia consisted of a 10 hour train ride with no air conditioning and a very packed and grumpy train ride. The best decision was to break up the travel by spending a night in Zagrab the captial of Croatia where we enjoyed a night evening stroll and dinner out. The hostel we stayed at was a good choice as we meet many people doing the same sail Croatia trip as we were.
It had been in the plan to do Sail Croatia, an interest we shared with our friend Jo and old flatmate so prior to leaving NZ we had already prebooked and paid for the trip.
We arrived in Spilt from Zargrab the next day where Scott and i had 5 days of relaxation before the boat departed from Spilt.

Spilt was a great city and it was so different to other cities. The old town was ancient and i often said wow i feel like its a movie set, the way the little louvres on each building opened up and was lit up at night. But the one thing we were most excited about was the beach and having a swim in the sea something we hadnt done since we arrived in Europe back in April. So we spent 3 days exploring the 3 pebble beachs around spilt which consisted of a bit of a walk in the heat but worth it in the end. The day we left and met jo and her friend it was the hottest day recorded in Spilt for the month of June and it was HOT!!!

Having never done a cruise before we were all quite excited and found out who else was on our boat and that their were 3 other boats heading South to Dubrovnik with us. Lunch was served up as we set sail and it was good just to get given a meal for one without having to decide and pick a place or cook. The food throughout the cruise was surberb, croatia being keen on fish we had plently of calamarie, fish, and even a bbq one night.

The boat ported each night at a different small seaside town and island. The first night we stopped off in Makarska, second night Stari Grad, one night in Hvar, omis, korcula, vis and mljet and our last night being in dubrovnik. Our favourite places were Hvar where we hiked to the top of the castle and looked over the island. Also we enjoyed Vis an ancient fishing village surrounded by old school fishing boats. The village was paved with old alley ways all leading to local restuarants and shops. We finished off in Dubrovnik were we wished we had longer in the city but we had to leave the day after on the bulk-in road trip through Albania that sail croatia organised as well. Dubrovnik was stunning, it is surrounded by the city walls and to where the famous tv progamme game of thrones is filmed. We walked along the top of the wall and got some great photos. Food through out croatia was great too we had many good meals as well as the lunch and breakfast the crew on the boat prepared. Nights out were big, we went to a well known DJ who was playing in Dubrovnik the night we were there, also went to some night clubs in Hvar where both nights we returned amazed to see the sun rising. Over all we met many people and made new friends we remain in contact with from all over the world.

I strongly recomend Sail Croatia to anyone or even a cruise (their are many that cater for all ages) to see Croatia as i believe its the best way to see what this beautiful country has to offer. Many smaller ports and islands only accessable by boat and if you were on a cruise you would never see what a paradise Croatia really is!!!

Next stop after making our way through Albania for 3 nights an experience which consisted of Cheap everything! Some good meals, good sights and a veey boring monotonned tour guide we arrived in Corfu, Greece.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb