Jumping off cliffs


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
May 13th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey Everyone!
I know its only been a couple of days but i feel like if i can stay ontop of this a bit better than it'll be less painful when i write it.
When i last wrote me and Nel were about to head up to Cococabana beach (i think thats spelt wrong). Now before i write anything more I should probably put a stop to the various rumours which seem to be building. Me and Nel are not dating, or remotely close to dating. We are just really good friends! Okay, is everybody satisfied?
So as i was saying we headed over to the beach in Lapad (the area of Dubrovnik where all the hotels are) because Gus and Claudia had been there are had really enjoyed it. We arrived on the bus, walked down to the beach and were like ... "this is it?". The beach was pretty and okay, and had we not just caught a beach we might have thought it was okay. However we had just a bus to get there and it just a man-made beach which wasn't particularly exciting and was nothing compared to Lokrum. So we stayed about an hour (cause we went all that way) and then headed our seperate directions. At my hostel i ran into Merrin (the Aussie girl that i couldn't remember the name of), and she was hanging out with an American guy (Mark). We all headed down to Fresh for happy hour. When we arrived we decided to buy a tower of beer (i'll show you in the photos) which was only 63 kuna and is about 3 litres of beer. So we shared that out between us, and eventually Nel arrived but she bought her own drinks. Then the three of us bought a second tour and began to drink that. However the problem was that Merrin didn't really like beer and so me and Mark were drinking most of it, and me and Nel were gonna go get some seafood for dinner but hadn't gone yet (so basically i had an empty stomach). So that alcohol hit me fairly hard and by the time we went for a meal i was feeling pretty ill. The four of us went to the usual seafood place, and i tucked straight away into the bread, and then my squid-ink risotto. So by the time we left dinner i felt a lot better cause most of the alcohol had been soaked up. We went back to Fresh and the other three kept drinking but once i start to feel a bit sick i rarely start drinking again. I did have another drink a couple of hours later but i had well and truly sobered up by then. However the other three hadn't stopped drinking and they all paid the consequences the next morning.
When we woke up Merrin, Mark and I headed down to a place in the old town and bought really nice hamburgers and milkshakes for breakfast. That is except Mark who was feeling really bad and decided to drink a Stella with his meal! I don't think it worked and he headed off his first day in Dubrovnik looking very shaky.
So anyway i spent the rest of the afternoon packing and then headed to the bus station to catch my bus to Korcula Island. It was a beautiful trip but kind of wierd to be catching a bus to an island. In the end the bus drove onto a ferry for a short time and then drove off the ferry and deposited us in the centre of town.
I arrived at my hostel - called the One Love Hostel - and immediately headed off for drinks at an amazing bar where you sat on the top of the castle turrents and could see the sunset. I went with an American girl called Judy and two Aussie guys called amazingly enough Aaron and Daniel! So those were two names that were not remotely difficult to remember but i couldn't believe the odds of that combo of names. I really didn't want to drink as again i was yet to eat but felt bad about sitting up there without a drink. So we all bought Long Island Ice-teas and watched the sunset which was stunning. After that we went and got food (i got more squidink risotto as i hadn't really been in the best condition to appreciate it the night before, but stupidly i couldn't finish as i filled up on beer). We went for our meal with the guy who ran the hostel (can't remember his name but he told us to call him "Z"), and an American girl (can't remember her name) and a Canadian girl (Kayla). We also ran into a couple from Aus and then everyone headed back to the hostel. That night started out as everyone sitting around chatting with a few drinks, except Z and the American girl who were getting trashed and were all over each other. A few people got tired and went to bed, and i headed up not long after having decided that the night was almost over. I got woken a few times during the night however as a couple of hours after i went to bed everyone who was still awake had gotten trashed (mainly because Z had put a mixture of different alcohol in a bucket and was making everyone drink from it).
So anyway the next morning me and Kayla were the first two up and spent some time chatting as one by one people crawled out of bed. The reception for the hostel was supposed to open at 8am however it wasn't until 2pm that Z and the American girl emerged and he opened up reception. Also during the night he'd woken up and had a wierd delusion and then punched a big hole in the wall of his own hostel! In fact all the locals hate him, and they all said that they wish he hadn't got permission to open his hostel as it is in the centre of a residential area and he always makes people drink too much! It wasn't hard to sympathise with them. I spent some time lazing on a pile of rocks with some people, as well as walking around Korcula, lazing on the beach with Kayla for a while, and eating a really nice seafood pizza. At one point i received a message telling me that my letter had arrived in Dubrovnik and i decided to head back to Dubrovnik rather than heading back to Hvar island. That night Aaron, Daniel, Judy and I all headed to a seafood restaurant where we bought 4 kgs of mussels. However the mussels came out and less than 10 minutes later we had devored every single one! We headed back to the hostel and watched "one flew over the cuckoos nest", which as previously mentioned I think is an awesome movie however it was last thing that any of us felt like watching (except Z who insisted). Most people had a few drinks but i decided to not drink for a while. About midnight we (everyone except the lovers) headed to a Croatian club which was completely empty (despite it being Friday night). I had a few vodka lemonades and chatted to everyone. However for some reason the club had dancers who danced on the stage with the band in really skimpy outfits. It was kinda wierd and it suddenly made sense why there was only a handful of girls in a the club. Kayla and I decided to do our own dancing which began with the chicken dance and ended with fairly complicated line dances she taught me and which i think i did alright on. I think we actually stole the show and at some stage the dancers disappeared and everyone was watching us dance. At the end a Croatian guy even came up and told us both how good we were at dancing. We headed back not long after.
I woke up the next day and caught the ferry to Dubrovnik with Aaron, Daniel and Judy. When we arrived we walked to the YHA hostel but it was booked out and as we walked out we got harrassed by a women called Mama Maria who wanted us to stay at her place. In the end we agreed, and i left to pick up my letter. You'll notice that i don't really mention much about Aaron, Daniel and Judy after this point despite having travelled with them. The thing whilst i liked them, to be perfectly honest we didn't really mesh and i found them a bit much (one of the guys threw a rock at a cat which really suprised me). After i picked up my letter, i filled it out and then realised that i wouldn't be able to send it the next morning as i had planned because it was Sunday. So i realised that i would have to stay an extra day in Dubrovnik and leave on the Monday. So i headed to Fresh and chatted with a German guy and the staff who i gotten to know really well, until Nel arrived. Then we were joined by a really nice English girl (Rebecca) and her NZ boyfriend (Kent - like Superman). I also chatted with a few other people but mostly with Nel. Rebecca and Kent got me drinking Mojitos so i had quite a few of those. Then i had a pretty early night.
I used the morning of today to plan the next few weeks of my trip which whilst exciting put me in a little bit of a bad mood as i didn't want to be doing that on such a nice day. At 2pm i caught the ferry to Lokrum and whilst on the ferry i bumped into Fraser (a Canadian guy that works at Fresh), and he was travelling over with Nadine and Natasha (who was actually a Croatian local). On the island we met up with Mia (US, who works at Fresh), her boyfriend (mental blank and can't remember his name), in fact i can't really remember anyones names at the moment as there was about 10-15 people there, very few who i'd actually already met. We spent a bit of time lounging on the cliffs, and then one by one we jumped off a cliff. I'm really bad a estimating distance but they all said it was about 60ft down. I was nervous but tried not to think about it and also to jump as far from the edge as possible. It was perfectly safe though as the water was so clear that you could see that there was no obstructions. It was awesome but it seemed to take a really long time to actually reach the water (it felt like we kinda floated for a while). After that (which took a while to get through everyone) we lazed around again and then a few us swung on a rope into the dead sea (mentioned in my previous post) which was heaps of fun. Then eventually we all left to catch the final ferry at 6 back to Dubrovnik (except for three people who decided to stay on the island, which is illegal so they'll have to hide from the caretaker). And then i came and wrote this. I've decided to have a quiet night before i head off so i've avoided happy hour at Fresh and am going to head along now (8:30) and then get an early night as i have a massive day ahead of me.
Talk to you all soon
Alex


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

People Jumping off the CliffPeople Jumping off the Cliff
People Jumping off the Cliff

I got photos of everyone but these next few are the best!
Me Jumping off the Cliff Me Jumping off the Cliff
Me Jumping off the Cliff

Everyone else looked so graceful, and I look terrible!


14th May 2007

Oooooooo!
Alex and Nel sitting in a tree. no, just kidding. I believe you. Your trip sounds amazing, I am so jealous. I also think its hilarious you went halfway around the world and ended up hanging out with some guys called Aaron and Daniel.
14th May 2007

I don't buy this explanation of of Nel either Sophie! Hehehe lol does the new Aaron wear ladies shoes too?
16th May 2007

Ladies shoes.
My initial reaction to Ali's slanderous claims about my feminine fashion quirks was total outrage! OUTRAGE! Then I thought about it, its a fair call really. While we're on the topic, i do have a serious question to ask all you freeks who wear high heels, why do you do that to yourself!!!??? They're both really hard to balance on and totally uncomfortable. Say hi to Aaron from me, and tell him to stop throwing rocks at cats, thats just weird.

Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb