Day 2 Dubrovnik, Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
September 5th 2022
Published: September 9th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Our shore excursion today was into Dubrovnik (the old oaks).

Dubrovnik is one of the main shooting locations for the Game of Thrones. Mainly King’s Landing with a lot of CGI added.

Basically a medieval town that had been conquered multiple times. When communism fell and Yugoslavia fragmented there was fighting to determine who controlled the other countries which are now Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina,. They were essentially bombed by their own army. The map shows the strikes that happened to this city. You would be hard pressed to find the damage today after all of the rebuilding.

We visited a Dominican Monastery and a Catholic Cathedral that are both functioning. (we found it odd that the cathedral was not selling rosaries).

During some free time in Dubrovnik we visited some stores and picked up a few items of clothing & underwear. We will have to make due for now.

Back on the bus we headed into the country for a lunch at a farm. Konavoski Davora.

It used to be a functioning mill with multiple water wheels. The special part is how the meal was prepared. The meat and potatoes are put into pots, covered by bells to keep the moisture in and then placed in a BBQ pit.

Returning to the ship….. nope… no luggage yet. We’ve been told by Air Canada that our luggage will join us at some point during our trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Pork and PotatoesPork and Potatoes
Pork and Potatoes

cooked in a pit with meet placed in a covered pot


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb