Sailing destination Šibenik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » ?ibenik
January 7th 2014
Published: January 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Šibenik is located in central Dalmatia where the river Krka floats into the Adriatic Sea making it a wonderful place for a unique sailing experience. Šibenik today is the administrative, economic and cultural centre of the County of Šibenik and Knin which extends along the 100 kilometre long coastline between the Zadar and Split Rivieras. Climate is Mediterranean, with mild, humid winters and hot, dry summers. July and August are the hottest months. In July the average maximum temperature is around 30°C. The average annual insulation is very high (2.710 hours).

Šibenik and Knin County has 242 islands, islets and above-sea reefs. Some of the nearby islands you should visit while sailing the area are: Zlarin, Prvić, Krapanj, and Logorun. On these islands sailor may find a lot of bays and places to satisfy the highest demands. Most of this archipelago is in the north-western part of Šibenik's waters and is especially indented, bare and sparsely inhabited. The most numerous group of islands are the Kornati islands, west of Šibenik. The Kornati archipelago, chosen to be worlds no. 1 sailing destination by National Geographic journalists, consists of 150 islands in a sea area of about 320 km2, making it the densest archipelago in the Mediterranean Sea. Kornati are a sailor's paradise, replete with innumerable quiet coves. Roughly 18 kilometres north of the city is the Krka National Park, renowned for its many waterfalls, flora, fauna, and historical and archaeological remains.

Unlike other cities along the Adriatic coast, which were established by Greeks, Illyrians and Romans, Šibenik was founded by Croats. It was mentioned for the first time under its present name in 1066 in a Charter of the Croatian King Petar Krešimir IV and, for a period of time, it was a seat of this Croatian King. For that reason, Šibenik is also called "Krešimirov grad" (Krešimir's city). The St. Jacob's Cathedral is the most famous building in Šibenik and it is on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The Castle and the City Walls or St. Ann are situated on the hill 70m over the sea in the city center. Today it is also called St. Michael Fort – saint patron of the city. St. Nicholas’ fortress (16th ct.), at the entrance to the St. Anthony’s channel, is one of the strongest sea fortresses on the Croatian side of the Adriatic in general. Nowadays, it's adjusted to a concert venue due its extraordinary acoustics.

It's a joy to walk around Šibenik and explore Its narrow streets, ancient chapels , stony houses, many staircases and the remains of the city walls, which give Šibenik that romantic Mediterranean atmosphere. In the town of Šibenik and its surroundings, you can find a lot of wonderful restaurants preparing wonderful Mediterranean specialties with excellent daily choice of fresh fish and seafood, and local mediterranean herbs and vegetables. Among cultural events, the most well known are the following: the annual Šibenik International Children's Festival which takes place every summer, Dalmatian chansons festival, and St. Jacob’s Day (who is the patron saint of Sibenik) is celebrated on 25th July. Since 2011 the Terraneo festival is held in august on a yearly basis on a former military area in Šibenik. Šibenik also provides for a great location for a number of water-sporting activities such as windsurfing, water skiing, sailing and diving among others.

Šibenik welcomes all types of charter yachts in its famous D Marin Mandalina marina, known to all the experienced sailors. An advantage of the marina is its naturally protected position within the Sibenik Bay. The best beaches in Šibenik are Banj beach, the „Sand Beach" in Solaris Beach Resort, the beach in the settlement of Jadrija, and beach Rezalište.

If you want to read more about Šibenik, click here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb