Day 34: Ljubljana to Zagreb


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Central Croatia » Zagreb
June 27th 2012
Published: June 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Train to Zagreb


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Bumpy train ride from Slovenia to Zagreb 10 secs
We got up and headed for the train station around 7:00 am. There we had our pastries and white coffee at (ugh-NO-YES) McDonald’s. It was quite the place, with free WIFI and a dollar menu for breakfast. The white coffee was pretty good. In Slovenia, McDonald’s charges for ketchup – 20 cents!!!!



There is a transportation hub here. The bus station is across the parking lot from the train station. The train station has 5 or 6 places to eat, a large and very clean restroom with self-flushing toilets, and smoking lounges. There is an elevator for bikes that enters on one side and exits the other… ride right in and out. We found it worked fine for suitcases as well J.



We dragged the bags out to the #6 platform where we waited for the train to Zagreb. I got out the Kunas and put away the Euros… another currency change! The ride was uneventful. We read, blogged, went through customs twice. We arrived on time at 10:45 at the Zagreb station.



We put out bags in storage for $3.00 and took a walk through the botanic gardens. We saw lots of wildflowers that grow in Kansas, lots of trees, lots of different plants. It was a relaxing way to spend the morning. We had a sandwich at a bar street side, and returned for bags at 1:00.



The Information guy called the sobe owner and we found out directions. It required a taxi ride. Our hostess was waiting for us. The room is very very nice, all white, 1st floor level, washing machine, full kitchen.



We settled in and went for a walk down the steps beside our apartment. 156 there were! We walked around, found a grocery for breakfast supplies, had a beer and people watched at the Jelacica Square.



We returned home, up the steps, and relaxed in AC.



Spain was playing Portugal in the World Cup and a large screen was set up in Jelacica Square. We went down the steps for dinner, found a good pizzaria… had a salad and pizza and a glass of wine each for only $16 USD. Then we went back to the square and watched half the game, with a glass of wine each for total $20 USD. Then we strolled down “main drag” of Tkalciceva Street, watched the rest of the game at an outside bar with a glass of wine each for a total of $6 USD. Location, location, location. Spain beat Portugal in the end shootout.



Up the stairs… to bed. Great evening!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Traveling with RickTraveling with Rick
Traveling with Rick

Love Rick Steves!


Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb