Plitvika Jezera: Lakes and Waterfalls


Advertisement
Published: July 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we have spent time in one of the most picturesque natural landscapes we have ever seen. In this National Park a series of lakes on different levels is linked by spectacular waterfalls. Paths and boardwalks are supplemented by electric boats and buses to help visitors get around the large area. Great efforts are made to preserve the lakes and surrounds, and many visitors from different countries come to enjoy the experience. Registration plates from all over Europe were evident in the car park today.
We were pleased to have manageable temperatures today after all the recent heat and welcomed the breeze and even the occasional cloud cover. We decided to take the bus to the highest lake, where we fuelled up with a large slice of apple strudel and began to walk back down, following the boardwalk and tracks around and between each descending lake, stopping to gaze at the beautiful waterfalls. The water was clear and so blue, with many fish lazily swimming about watching the tourists. All in all, it was idyllic and we loved it. Somehow five hours slipped by before we climbed the final zigzag path back to the car park.
It was time for some relaxing back at our pansion, where we found our friendly hosts and some Polish guests enjoying an aperitif outside under the apple tree. We were warmly invited to join them and sample our host’s excellent home-made plum brandy. Then a bottle of a Polish spirit was produced and some discussion about the alcohol content took place. The plum brandy, with 30 something % alcohol, was easily outstripped by the 63% alcohol content of the Polish fire water! Time flew by and soon we needed a little rest, but we did enjoy chatting with our companions and getting a glimpse of their family and lives.
This day has been special: visiting a spectacular place and having fun with some very nice people.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb