2 days in Plovdiv


Advertisement
Bulgaria's flag
Europe » Bulgaria » Plovdiv Province » Plovdiv
August 2nd 2015
Published: August 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

It has taken me a few weeks back home to get round to writing this .... I want to share what a fabulous place Plovdiv is. I left Lorraine and Keith and set off in a bus from VT to Plovdiv... now a word about bus travel in Bulgaria... it could be a large coach or it could be a mini bus... and so far I haven't seen any modern versions and certainly no toilets on board . So you need to check if they make comfort stops. On this particular journey the plus was the driver made several stops, but the minus was it was a very tatty old mini bus but hey it was cheap and got me to my destination even it it took five hours. And of course you get to see more of the countryside which on this occasion included some lovely mountain scenery as well as a Romany encampment ... think third world slum dwellings with the addition of horses and donkeys scattered about. As I said previously it's a land of contrasts.

My accommodation was an Air BnB guest house...perfectly simple and clean room with ensuite and only £19 a night ... I don't think I read on the blurb that the rooms were on the 4th floor so luckily I am not so "elderly" yet that I cannot manage 45 stairs but it could have been difficult for someone else...something to always check I guess. However it was in a great location, 5-10 mins walk from the bus station and 5 mins walk to a beautiful park with a lake and fountains where I had dinner and breakfast the following day. A walk through the park led to Plovdiv Old Town and I had seen that there was a FREE 2 hour walking tour. This is a must for anyone as with a local guide you can really get a feel for the history and culture of the city. What a mixture of sights - we walked through the old crafts area, saw urban wall art, a Roman Stadium underneath a shopping boulevard , a Roman Theatre , beautiful merchants' houses tucked away in the cobbled streets and enjoyed fabulous views from the top of one of the seven hills of Plovdiv.

After the walk it was nice to re-trace my steps and spend more time looking and taking photos and finding my way into courtyards and gardens and of course to sample a cider.

Enjoy the photos as you take a walk with me through Old Town Plovdiv.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Plovdiv (21)Plovdiv (21)
Plovdiv (21)

the end of the Roman Stadium


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb