Ghent


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium
August 23rd 2009
Published: August 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Saturday we went to Ghent for the day, which is a small flemish city between Brussels and Bruges (only about 35 mintues from Brussels). After taking the train and then the tram to get to the centre of Ghent, we first went to Saint Bavo Cathedral where we saw the famous painting "The adoration of the Mystic Lamb" by Jan & Hubert van Eyck. Then we went to Gravensteen Castle, which is a castle from the 12th century that also has a well-known torture museum! The rest of the afternoon was spent wandering around the streets of Ghent. We went to the Medieval neighbourhood, went to a traditional candy shop called 'Temmerman' and we tried some cuberdons and wippers (traditional candies), and we went to Graffiti Street, which is the only street in Ghent where graffiti is legal (and always fresh!). We went to 'Tierenteyn' to get some famous spicy mustard from this old-fashioned store and on our way back to the train station we quickly stopped at a chocolate bar to enjoy some fine chocolate desserts!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Traditional candyTraditional candy
Traditional candy

white = wippers / purple face = cuberdon


Tot: 0.03s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0138s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb