l'automne vient aux Ardennes


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Luxembourg
October 22nd 2008
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Christmas Tree Capitol ! The Ardennes, it's green, REALLY green.....well red, orange, yellow & brown now, but you know what I mean 😊

One could scarcely guess by looking @ these photos, Belgium is one of the most densely populated countries in the world with a density akin to that of Japan or India ! This statistic must be taken from Vlaanderen (Flanders) as the homes in villages are connected one to another with little to no property (backyards-front yards). Not everyone of course but many. This is far from the case in Wallonia & we are glad of it!

The Ardennes took it's name from ancient Arduenna Silva, an enormous forest in the days of the Romans. Stretching from the river Sambre (France/Belgium) to the Rhine in Germany, the forest was named after the pagan goddess Arduinna (Celtic mythology) & is represented as a huntress riding a wild boar-both of which are very popular here. The hunting & boar that is 😊

This area has been a highly strategic position for European powers for centuries & because of this, has been a battleground more times than one can count :/ Battle of the Ardennes, Battle of France, Battle of the Bulge... just to name a few of the more well known. Having been part of France, Germany, Austrian Netherlands, UK of the Netherlands, Spanish Netherlands.....it now rests quietly, alone & tranquil. Like the rest of Belgium, the surrounding countries were forced to give up the land that is now Belgium as a buffer zone between battling countries-hence the neutrality of this country makes it a prime location for the institutions such as NATO.

Now bordering the Champagne-Ardenne in France & the Eifel range in Germany, the Belgian Ardennes is a world away & an undisputed tourist haven-for GOOD reason!

Hiking; Footpaths run abundant but it is highly recommended to pick up a free map of the forest area you wish to hike in from any of the tourist bureaus. Hunting is a very popular pastime & VERY different from hunting in many other countries around the world. You wouldn't want to inadvertently walk onto a hunting ground! You must belong to a hunting club to participate & you must speak either French or Dutch or hunt with someone known to be fluent English speaking. Not an easy feat here in the south! English is "coming" but all in all everyone speaks French.

Same goes for rock climbing, you must belong to a mountaineering club to take on any of the serious rock faces.

Mountain biking, skiing, kayaking or canoeing on the Anseremme, La Lesse, Ourthe La Roche en Ardenne, la Semois <===highly recommended & not much risk of "kayak-jam", camping, fishing, swimming, railway biking (on railroad tracks obviously no longer in use for trains 😊 & cycling along the bike paths that are now paved & once railroad tracks. Along the rivers, in the forest, can't be beat! One need not be an Eddy Mercks to enjoy short bike trips or week long adventures!

From famous carnivals in Aalst, Malmedy, Binche & Fosse-la-Ville to releasing your inner troglodyte in caving experiences, the Ardennes has something for everyone! Château-Hotels, vacation cabins & B&B's are in abundance. Certainly not much in the way of chain hotels down here & they aren't missed 😊

Although traditional in many many ways-it's always possible to happen upon a lone cow or horse trotting down a main road, there is also the European Space Center. While interesting for children, if you've been to NASA Kennedy Space Center, you can pass on this. Not a "must". Too expensive for what it is, or isn't, as is the case.

I will however highly endorse the Bastogne Historical Center which is directly next to the American Memorial located on the Colline du Mardasson.

I'm not a tree hugger per se, well only our very own mammoth Sequoia 😊 But the Ardennes is the BEST! The only drawback- a nuclear power station the French (Chooz) so thoughtfully placed DIRECTLY on the border for all to see >:/ It "leaked" radiation several months ago, the French didn't think it was "important enough" to inform anyone. THANKS NEIGHBOR!

Well, no one is glowing so I'm not going to worry about it 😊

Gourmet food & Gastronomy, speciality cheese, foie gras, wild game, etc etc the Ardennes is a definite don't miss when in Belgium!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb