Boat tour around Ghent


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » East Flanders » Gent
June 14th 2017
Published: June 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

a beautiful morning in belgium/francea beautiful morning in belgium/francea beautiful morning in belgium/france

looking out the front door, the weather in France (across the street) looks marvelous! Ha! Ha! For those who didn't see previous posts, the France/Belgium border runs down the middle of the road right outside our front door.
This day we headed to Ghent. We knew we wanted to take a boat tour around the city, but weren't exactly sure what else we would do. After walking all over Antwerp the day before, our feet weren't exactly ready for another 4 hour walk. As it turned out, the weather was really warm and we were not dressed appropriately. We really hadn't planned on it being so warm so all our shorts were back in England. We took the 40-minute boat tour, which was very nice, and then headed back to the house for a relaxing afternoon there.

A little history on Ghent. It started as a settlement at the confluence of the Rivers Scheldt and Leie in the later middle ages and became one of the largest and richest cities of northern Europe. It is the second largest municipality of Belgium (after Antwerp).

I'm sorry I was unable to provide too much information on some of the pictures. It was difficult to hear our tour guide and I did the best I could at trying to locate the information on the internet. :-) Enjoy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Adoration of the Mystic LambAdoration of the Mystic Lamb
Adoration of the Mystic Lamb

This is a replica of a painting by a Flemish artist, Jan Van Eyck. It was a painting that had been stolen by the Nazis during WWII.
a view from the rivera view from the river
a view from the river

There fake birds in the tree for a light festival
Grain house/small houseGrain house/small house
Grain house/small house

The building on the left is the Graslei (the old grain house) where grain was stored. The house to the right is the smallest house in Ghent.
Graventeen castleGraventeen castle
Graventeen castle

A castle known for its torture.


30th June 2017

Ghent
Hi Debbie - now don't you wish you were back in Florida (not). Love the old buildings. You should buy a farm there and then invite us all ;-) Please doesn't look so crowded but I bet it is during tourist season.

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb