Brussels, Belgium Day 2


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region
September 11th 2010
Published: September 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 Brussels
We got ourselves the 24-hour Brussels pass that gives you free admission to museums and transportation (metro, bus and tram). Then headed right to the Belgium Museum of Brewers since it was right next door to the tourism information office. Not a whole lot to look at, but at the end you can have a couple of samples in their neat little bar area. This was wonderful, b/c I got to talk with the curator about Belgian beer and he was very nice to talk to...we made fun of wine lovers and held our pinkies in the air as we simulated drinking wine.

Then we went to three art museums: Royal Museum of Ancient Art, & Modern Art, and the Magritte Museum. All three were very interesting, but the Ancient Art Museum was the best since they had a handful of pieces by Hieronymous Bosch and Pieter Brughel the Elder. These were some very impressive museums overall and worth every minute.

But the best part of the day was a trip to Canntillon Brewery, which is a little bit out of town viathe metro. The brewery produces Lambics and most notably, Geuze. The only remaining brewery
Beer w/ operator of Beer MuseumBeer w/ operator of Beer MuseumBeer w/ operator of Beer Museum

Yeah, it's like 10:00AM, and I only wanted a small taste, then the operator teased me...he then made me drink two full glasses.
in Brussels and family owned, we were kind of allowed to just wonder the premises. At the end, there is of course a tasting which was great (Brandi hated it, as Geuze and Lambics here are very dry and not sweet some other producers). While sipping our samples, I met two gentleman from San Fransisco who are homebrewers and beer lovers also. We had a nice chat and then parted ways. We just finished the day wondering around central Brussels some and of course scored some more chocolate.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Me w/ St. ArnoldMe w/ St. Arnold
Me w/ St. Arnold

St. Arnold = Patron Saint of Beer
Royal Art MuseumsRoyal Art Museums
Royal Art Museums

Hieronymous Bosch
Royal Art MuseumsRoyal Art Museums
Royal Art Museums

Salvador Dali
Cafe - Brinking Busch?!Cafe - Brinking Busch?!
Cafe - Brinking Busch?!

No, no...that's Bush Beer of Belgium making.


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb