Vienna Marathon day


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
April 15th 2012
Published: April 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Long time back we had signed up to run Vienna city half-marathon. Today was the day, moment of truth of months of training. The day was not great, cloudy, cold and a bit rainy, but not so bad. We were at starting line up quite early. We deposited our bags, warmed up and ready to run. It started strong. The beginning was on a bridge with very nice view of a castle. I took a picture. Soon we were going by a nice park and I took more pictures. After that I don't remember much, we went near Opera house. The finish line was in Imperial Palace. That would have been a great touch if only I was aware of it. (we will find out later) We finished, though taking more time than I expected. Still it was great to receive one more medal. We enjoyed the finish festivities, looking for food. Vola! Indian food stall! Great, so we had some simple Indian food, very welcome after the run. The day was still not so great. So we headed back to hotel for bath and getting proper warm clothes.

In the afternoon, not in much mood to walk, we decided
Street performerStreet performerStreet performer

Really good performance!
to take the ring tram to see the city. It was also drizzling a bit, so not great weather to be out. First stop was War Memorial. It was strange seen a very russian monument in middle of Vienna. From there we took the tram 2. It took us in the city, away from touristy places and across Danube river. Soon we realized that its not a ring tram and then came back same route in the tram. The ring tram apparantly is something different, kind of like hop on and off bus I think. Still its possible to make a circle with combination of trams 1 & 2. Then we headed off to main train station as we wanted to get ticket for rest of the vacation. Since the weather was bad, we decided to just head back home and bought tickets for Zurich for next day.

After buying ticket at train station, we saw the main cathedral. We could get in, but main parts were unfortunately closed for a mass. We did not find the building very impressive just because we have seen much more impressive churches in other cities by now. Outside the church there were some guys giving a street dance performance. That was very nice. At this point, we called it a day and headed back to hotel early.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb