Palaces, Stallions, Rod Stewart and Mozart


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
June 2nd 2018
Published: June 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Vienna is splendid!

The Spanish Riding School in Vienna is renowned for the all-white Lipizzanner stallions. Four hundred years ago, these horse were trained for combat. In modern day, the Lipizzanner training continues for show and the stallions perform in a glorious, chandelier adorned arena to the sounds of Richard Strauss. A lovely and impressive show of horsemanship. The first year a woman has been elected as a full-rider of the Lipizzanners in 2018.

Interesting fact, the Lipizzaners are born dark brown (called bay). As the Lipizzanner foals matures, their coats turn white. Only about 1 in 100 ponies remain a dark bay at maturity. It is the legend that the bay Lipizzanner joins the white stallion brigade as a good luck charm and the troop will continue as long as a bay remains in the stable.

Rod Stewart was sitting in the front row with his family at today's Lipizzaner performance. His spiky blond hair is timeless and iconic. After the show was over, he and his family exited with the rest of us to the Lipizzanner Gift Shop. Of course, Jack and I trailed with the throng of celebrity watchers that thought we'd really seen something
Hofburg PalaceHofburg PalaceHofburg Palace

Winter Home of Royal Family of Austria
watching the prancing ponies. I overheard Rod tell his son, about 7 years old, not to touch anything and that they would not be buying anything at the shop today. Good Dad!

The Hofburg Palace in Vienna was the winter home the Emperor of Austria-Hungary. Befit for a Emperor in its size and grandeur. Jack and I became fascinated by the Empress Elisabeth, formerly of Bavaria. Sisi, her nickname, was adored in the way Queen Elizabeth is today. Tragically, she was assassinated by a political disident.

Jack and I ended our glorious day with a concert of Mozart and Beethoven at the baroque St. Anna's church.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb