On the rails again


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
June 7th 2006
Published: June 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So. thankfully the trip has resumed in proper once again, and we are back doing what we do best (queing with millions of Americans to see every famous renaissance item in the world ever!). Incidently whilst this entry is listed as Vienna it will seek to incorporate any number of other places, activities, and freak weather patterns.

After exiting Berlin, which was difficult and took several tries missing two trains and madly running back across Berlin to pick up Abbie's video camera from the hostel safe, we headed down for a rather lovely evening in Dresden. Whilst this may not seem at all logical to those wth more than a passing knowledge of German geography, especially given that our final destination was the British embassy in Dusseldorf, but as of this moment our route map resembles the line drawings of rather spastic monkey who has systematically failed to imbibe his prescribed ritalin (or perhaps just a severly confused spider?). Dresden is pretty, cultured, and properly European. This is in relatively stark contrast to Dusseldorf which is dull, grey, cold, and improperly European. Sadly we seemed to spend a lot more time in D-dorf mainly because the embassy observed British public holidays as well as German, and because one of the staff members tried to deny my application on the basis that my nose was fatter in my previous passport photo. Still it was a massive relief to actually get the damn thing and head all the way back down to Austria on fast efficient German trains (in contrast to slow uncomfortable Italian trains, but I will get to this later).

Once in Austria, we stopped to view Salzburg. Salzburg is where they filmed the sound of music (boo!) and is thus rather pretty and as it was the first day of summer it was absolutely, perfectly...... freezing beyond all belief, colder than any winter I have had in NZ and did I mention the rain? Now it had rained heavily every day we were in Dusseldorf, but this rain was something else. It was of the umbrella smashing, flu inducing, martian variety. Naturally after this I had a cold the entire time we were in Vienna (Wien to those in the know). Despite this Vienna was marvellous. It postively reeks of culture, imperial gradure, decadence, and history. We had coffee in a cafe where Lenin, Trotsky, and Freud used to drink and play chess (not neccessarily together you understand), although in true viennese style the waiters took half an hour to get us a menu and sneered when we asked for one. We also visited palaces, played in hedge mazes, and saw an incomprehensible number of famous works of art, of which the Klimt collection in the Belvedere Palace (former home of Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand) was particularly outstanding.

After all this we caught a night train to Lucca via Florence. But that as they say is another story to save for another night.....

Advertisement



8th June 2006

you seem so much happier in this post
Compared to the last one. That makes me suspicious for some reason. I'm telling Abbie's parents that you got high in Vienna. But I definitely agree with you 150% about sound of music. BOO!! BOOOOO!! You didn't mention Yoshi but Abbie did. Did Abbie have a crush on Yoshi or something? Is anyone over there teasing you, Tan? Do I need to come over?
8th June 2006

Glad you liked Wien
So good to hear you admire Vienna - did you see the co-operative village designed by Hundertwasser? Did you know he lived in New Zealand for some time. More to the point...do you know who I mean? I've spent some time in Vienna - been there three times and think it is a perfect size for a city. On the other hand, Firenza is also a perfect size for a city. You can see the countryside from the city centre. I hope you don't miss Firenza. Keep well. Eve Abbey
8th June 2006

A little extra
Just to add a little as per Eve's comment. We did see the Hunterwasser house and it was much cooler than the toliet he built in Kawakawa. We also experienced Viennese Opera at the statsopera, which was a great experience, although commercialisation is as rampant in these supposed last bastions of high culture. Somehow they manged to include wheeling a Lexus (car) onto the stage during Puccini's Manon Lescaut. Not that I have any real knowledge of Opera, but this seemed innapropriate. Florence is lovely at the mo, and I will post again soon.
9th June 2006

aahhh florence.............
Florence was definitely my favourite city in Italy! Beautiful buildings and artwork and bridges and desserts and people and shoes! And not as crowded as Rome. Enjoy Florence - note my extreme jealousy.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb