Ian's Award For The Best City in Europe


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
August 4th 1990
Published: October 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Vienna ArchitectureVienna ArchitectureVienna Architecture

A church roof
Vienna was a good night's sleep away, so that was our next destination. We had to share the compartment on the train with two Japanese guys, which made it very cramped. On the assumption that they couldn't understand, we shared stories about life at college, which consisted mainly of drunken depravity and sexual conquest. When we all got off the train the following morning, they happily grinned at us and said "Goodbye" in perfect English!

First order of the day was to get some local currency. We were all very bitter and twisted when it cost us £2 to change a £10 travellers cheque. I think that if any of the Euro-sceptics in our political parties were to go inter-railing, they would soon be in favour of European monetary union. Bloody pain in the backside changing small denominations all the time. Yes, I know, I’m ranting again, sorry!

Like London and Paris, Vienna has different stations, depending on where you want to go. We decided to walk to the other station, but soon regretted it when our backpacks seemed to get heavier. Once the backpacks were safely stored away, however, we were free to wonder round to our hearts content.

Vienna is a beautiful city, and I think that I would give it my award for the best city in Europe. Quite an award, I think you’d agree, not that my option carries much authority however. I can’t exactly see the people of Vienna jumping up and down in excitement about it.

We monopolised the toilets / washroom in McDonalds for a while, checked out the shops and then saw the sex district. This was a complete tourist trap and was just full of old couples, taking photographs. Some of the things we saw were shocking even to people of our age, and that’s even after three years at Brighton Poly.

The world famous Ferris Wheel also had to be checked out, but the best thing to do in Vienna was just to wander round and enjoy the beautiful old buildings, the greenery, the horse-drawn carriages and the atmosphere generally.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Ferris WheelFerris Wheel
Ferris Wheel

The largest big-wheel in the world (before the London Eye of course)


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb