Week Two - Training in Vienna!


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
November 10th 2007
Published: November 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The (Slightly Blurry) Gang!The (Slightly Blurry) Gang!The (Slightly Blurry) Gang!

L-R Back Row: Cindy (France), Me (UK), Csilla (Hungary), Vita (Slovenia), Istvan (Hungary) Middle Row: Maiwen (France - Breton), Hannah (UK), Kristin (Norway), Ali (Spain) Front Row: Aniko (Hungary), Leo (UK), Renata (Latvia), Geta (Romania), Beata (Hungary), Tony (Spain)
On Monday 8th October I headed to Vienna for my arrival training - four days of meeting people, learning all about Austria, EVS, myself, and the many other amazing volunteers living and working all over Austria - and these were just the ones that went to the same training as myself! This was an absolutely incredible experience, we had so much time not just to do all the official things you have to learn in order to do this kind of project, but to really think about what we're doing here and what we want to get out of our experience. It was so good to talk to other people about their experiences so far, and really put your own in perspective.

For me the hardest and best thing about the week was meeting all of the volunteers now living in Salzburg, in an incredible place called Haus Merian.

I say this because I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for my experiences livin in Haus Merian two years ago. I lived with a group of European Volunteers, and I can honestly say I have never in my life felt so much that I was surrounded by people
Out and About in ViennaOut and About in ViennaOut and About in Vienna

Meeting other people (including Alba, who I would meet again a few weeks later in Melk!), and afterwards getting extremely lost trying to get home. Good night up until that point though!
who had exactly the same life goals and dreams as myself, exactly the same ideals for the world and exactly the same passion and drive to actually make those ideals a reality. But none of them at all stuffy or boring, everyone fun, everyone warm and open - so so many great experiences in that place! And of course I fell in love there, which always makes something close to your heart.

So with all of that in mind it was so good to see that another group of really great volunteers are living there now, but also really hard to see that life moves on without you, and to be reminded that I'm not still living with those amazing friends. Thank goodness Katrin, who also lived in Haus Merian during that time, is also livin in Graz now - someone to share my nostalgia with!

So, after having spent a fantastic week with these amazing people it was sad to say goodbye to them again and all go our separate ways, but brilliant to know that actually we have so many opportunities to meet up with them again during the year, not least at the Mid-Term training
Playing MafiaPlaying MafiaPlaying Mafia

This is the game that makes you ready to murder your friends because they accused you of murdering somebody else because you're 'not saying much'. Dangerous. Very Dangerous.
in Innsbruck!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Renata and LeoRenata and Leo
Renata and Leo

These two blatantly wanted to Do the Deed together. Mmmmhmmm.
Freezing Our Bollocks Off in the ParkFreezing Our Bollocks Off in the Park
Freezing Our Bollocks Off in the Park

And Trying to Look Cheerful About It!
Leo and AnnaLeo and Anna
Leo and Anna

Our Trainers - Very Nice People! Other Leo had a theory that they were sleeping together, but Leo has very many theories and a dirty mind . . .
A Shovel of FoodA Shovel of Food
A Shovel of Food

Kristin and I weren't *quite* prepared for the way our dinner would be served . . .


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb