Austria


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
August 4th 2007
Published: August 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Mneimneh family had a wonderful vacation this August exploring the sights, sounds and tastes of two lovely cities Vienna & Salzburg.

On Saturday August 4, 2007 at 12:00 o’clock Bassem Halwani, Ali’s (my husband) cousin drove us to Rafic Hariri International airport. Bibo (my 7 month old baby) was sleeping since 7 o’clock so he woke up in the car and was awake at the airport when we were checking in and boarding.

Our flight was aboard Lufthansa Airlines flight 3519 at 03:05 am to Frankfurt, Germany. It was a smooth 4 hour flight and Bibo slept a little on his mommy’s laps. We arrived at Frankfurt at 06:15 am- Local time. Frankfurt airport is huge and nice. It is one of the largest airports in Europe and a hub for travelers. We had to run to gate A 65 for our flight to Vienna. It was very far from where we landed and we were in a hurry for almost half an hour. After we waited in a long line in the customs, security was somehow different from we were used to be for example no water was allowed on board. The flight from Frankfurt to Vienna was aboard Lufthansa 6332 at 08:00 am, however, the flight to Vienna was operated by Austrian airlines and Bibo stayed on his daddy’s laps this time. The hostess gave Bibo 2 nice gifts (Mouse toy & Duck toy) and he was very happy with them. It was a quick 55 minute flight.

As soon as we arrived to Vienna airport Ali was in need of an espresso so badly so I bought him one from Starbucks and after a quick cigarette in the smoking room, we went out to the arrival hall to find our taxi driver, a very nice old man. I reserved the taxi from Beirut through the internet. The drive to Hotel de France (SCHOTTENRING VIENNA AT 1010) was easy. It was a 25 minute drive. I gave Bibo his Bledine food fruit jar while on the car. We arrived to the hotel at 11:00 o’clock approximately. The room was ready with a crib inside.

City of music, cafes, waltzes, parks, pastries, and wine -- that's Vienna. Vienna is a true cosmopolitan center, where different tribes and nationalities have for centuries fused their cultural identities.

From the time the Romans selected a Celtic settlement on the Danube River as one of their most important central European forts, "Vindobona," the city we now know as Vienna, has played a vital role in European history. Austria grew up around the city and developed into a mighty empire. The capital became a showplace during the tumultuous reign of the Habsburg dynasty, whose court was a dazzling spectacle.

The face of the city has changed time and again because of war, siege, victory, defeat, the death of an empire and the birth of a republic, foreign occupation, and the passage of time.


The Hotel de France is a traditional six floor downtown building located on famous Ringstrasse near the University, the Convention Center & the Parliament. It is an elegant luxury hotel, in the very center of Vienna, within walking distance of St. Stephen’s Cathedral, the Hofburg, Spanish Riding School, State Opera, the business and banking district, etc.

Its chiseled gray facade looks basically as it did when it was first erected in 1872. The serious and attractive ambience attracts businesspeople from all over the world. We appreciated the high-ceilinged public rooms and oriental carpets, the generously padded armchairs, and the full-dress portrait of Franz Joseph.

Moreover, the guest rooms are among the finest for their price range in Vienna. Housekeeping is of a high standard; furnishings are traditional, with firm beds and double-glazed windows that really keep noise pollution down. Roomy bathrooms have tub/shower combinations and toiletries. (We reserved through Uflyonline.com website and the rate was for 180 $ per night- with breakfast)

I put Bibo in his crib and he was happy to play after the travel hours. Meanwhile, Mrs. Organization (me) started to arrange the luggage. Our break was only for 2 hours. We decided to go first to Ringstrassen Galerien mall because I knew there is a Billa Corso supermarket in it. It took us 25 minutes walking on the famous Ring to reach there asking of course for some directions.

While walking, we passed by café Landtman opened in 1873, this coffee house of the affluent middle classes was once Sigmund Freud’s favorite haunts. We saw the Lebanese flag on the same building and it seems it was the Lebanese Embassy.

The Ringstrasse is a circular road surrounding the Innere Stadt district of Vienna, and is one of its main sights. It is typical of the historical style called Ringstrabenstil (Ringstrabe Style) of the 1860s to 1890s. Most buildings date back to the time before 1870. The most notable ones which we saw on our way include:

- The Votivkirche, in neo-gothic style (a reference to the gothic Cathedrals of France) by Heinrich Freiherr von Ferstel.

- The University Building, in neo-renaissance style (a reference to the beginnings of the university system in northern Italy.

- The K.u.K. Hofburgtheater (now Burgtheater) by Karl Freiherr von Hasenaue. The Burgtheater (the former imperial court theatre), one of the most important theatres in Europe, is the second-oldest theatre still in existence after the Comédie Francaise.

- The Rathaus (Town Hall) in Flemish-gothic style by Friedrich Schmidt. It is one of the most splendid amongst the numerous monumental buildings along Vienna's. Designed by Friedrich Schmidt (1825-1891), it was erected between 1872 and 1883. Today the City Hall is the head office of Vienna's municipal administration. More than 2000 people work in the building. Visitors are stunned by the magnificent appointments of the state rooms, which frequently provide an atmospheric backdrop to various events such as press conferences, concerts or balls. There was a food fair in the Rathaus plaza from all different countries such as China, Japna, Italy, India, Iran, Greece , Spain, USA etc but we did not have our lunch there since it was too crowded and we could not find a table. There was also an outdoor film festival with a big screen and plenty of chairs.



- The Parliament building, in neo-attic style (a reference to the democracy of ancient Athens) by Theophil Freiherr von Hansen. This building was originally designed as the parliament building for the Habsburg Empire. It now serves as the Austrian Parliament building. The architecture is Greek, decorated with statues of Greek and Roman historians, statesmen, and scholars. The most prominent statue is of the Pallas Athene, the goddess of wisdom (Athenebrunnen). Half of the building was destroyed by World War II. Some of the artwork damaged during the war is only now starting to be restored.

- The K.u.K. Hofoper (now Vienna State Opera), in neo-romantic style by August Sicard von Sicardsburg and Eduard van der Nüll.

- The Ringstrassen Galerien, also known as the Korso, in modern 1990s style.


The Ringstrabe has several sections. It surrounds the central area of Vienna on all side, except for the northeast, where its place is taken by the Franz-Josephs-Kai, the street going along the Donaukanal (a branch of the Danube). Starting from the Ringturm at the northern end of the Franz-Josephs-Kai (where I got lost one day), the sections are:
- Schottenring (named after the Schottenstift)
- Dr.-Karl-Lueger-Ring (Karl Lueger)
- Dr.-Karl-Renner-Ring (Karl Renner)
- Burgring (Hofburg)
- Opernring (Vienna State Opera)
- Kärntner Ring (Carinthia)
- Schubertring (Franz Schubert)
- Parkring (Wiener Stadtpark)
- Stubenring


We arrived to Ringstrassen Galerien, a unique complex where two completely different buildings are connected by a glass bridge, and together these house the number one shopping centre in the city. I bought Hipp jars for Bibo and on the way we had our early dinner at Macdonald restaurant near the hotel. We did not enjoy our meal because the employee there did not understand English well and he gave us chili sauce chicken burger which we did not order and it was not that tasty. We went early to the hotel and slept directly because we were much in need of rest and sleep.

On Sunday 5 August, we had our breakfast in one of the hotels salons, salon Franz Josepf, where a large beautiful portrait of the emperor is hanged on the wall because the breakfast room was being renovated. We went to Shottentor Universitat metro station just the next door planning to go to Schonbrunn palace. We searched for the vending machine and after some help by a nice local lady we bought the ticket and headed to the palace. It was Bibo first time in the metro and he was very happy and excited. (72 hr Metro ticket= 13 Euro per person)

Schönbrunn Palace is one of the most important cultural monuments in Austria and since the 1960s has also been one of the major tourist attractions in Vienna. Soon after the end of the monarchy the population of Vienna discovered the park as an attractive recreational area. Eventually the palace was also opened to the public, drawing around 1.5 million visitors annually. The park and all the other attractions at Schönbrunn together see a further 5.2 million visitors each year, giving a grand total of 6.7 million visitors to the imposing palace complex each year.

At the 20th session of the World Heritage Committee held in December1996 Schönbrunn Palace was put on the list of UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Sites, an institution founded in 1972. Inclusion in this list confirms the importance of the palace and its gardens as a Baroque work of art.

After standing in a long queue to buy the tickets, I opted for the Imperial tour since this tour with 22 state rooms is the shorter of the two tours of Schönbrunn Palace.
(Ticket price: 9.50 Euro) It took us through the west wing of the palace showing us the apartments of Emperor Franz Joseph and Empress Elisabeth, as well as the magnificent ceremonial rooms in the central part of the palace such as the Billiard Room - Walnut Room - The Study - Franz Joseph‘s Bedroom - Western Terrace Cabinet - Stairs Cabine -Elisabeth‘s Dressing Room- Marital bedroom - Elisabeth‘s Salon - Marie Antoinette Room -Nursery -Breakfast Cabinet -Yellow Salon - Balcony Room - Mirrors Room Rosa Rooms - Lantern Room - Great Gallery -Small Gallery- Chinese Cabinets -Carousel Room.

The most magnificent room is the Hall of Ceremonies, measuring over 40 meters by 10 meters. The Great Gallery provided the ideal setting for court functions such as balls, receptions and banquets. The tall windows and the crystal mirrors facing them on the opposite wall together with the white and gold stucco decoration and the ceiling frescoes combine to form a total work of art resulting in one of the most magnificent Rococo interiors in existence.

The central panel of the ceiling frescoes by the Italian artist Gregorio Guglielmi shows the prospering of the monarchy under the rule of Maria Theresa. Enthroned at their centers are Franz Stephan and Maria Theresa surrounded by personifications of monarchical virtues. Ranged around this central group are allegories of the Habsburg Crown Lands, each with its resources.

Since the foundation of the republic the room has been used for concerts and official receptions. In 1961 the legendary encounter between the American president John F. Kennedy and the Russian head of state Nikita Khrushchev took place in this room.

After the tour, we headed to the wagenburge museum (Ticket Price= 4 Euro). If you want to experience just how ostentatious and removed-from-reality Imperial life was, you have drop in to the Wagenburg. It’s basically a giant hall that’s home to what’s left of the Hapsburg’s transport fleet; carriages, sedans, sleighs and even a car.

The vehicles are simply lined up in the hall with small information signs on each (in German and English). The Wagenburg does give you some insight into court life. Paintings on the wall reveal how the court would go on extravagant sleigh rides around the palace squares in incredibly ornate sleighs built solely for that purpose.

There was even a state carriage just for the man (the court equerry) in charge of the state carriages!





Some of the main important carriages there are:

- The black hearse carriage used in the funerals of Emperor Franz Joseph, his wife Sissi (Empress Elisabeth) and their son, Crown Prince Rudolph.
- The 1914 motor car used to take the last Emperor into exile in 1920
- The imperial coaches, with their painted sides, used to carry the likes of Emperor Joseph II, Leopold II and Francis I Stephen to various formal coronation ceremonies.
- The coach used by Empress Elisabeth (Sissi) when she first arrived in Vienna in 1854 prior to her marriage to the Emperor. The same carriage was used by Napoleon when crowned King of Italy in 1805!

Afterwards, we did the fiaker tour (horse drawn carriage) with Peter. It was somehow expensive ride (Price: 40 Euro) but it was too hot and we could not walk a lot with the baby so we opt for this option. While on the fiaker we saw:

- The Great Parterre
- The Maze & Labyrinth
- The Neptune Fountain
- The small Gloriette
- The Roman Ruin
- The privy Garden
- The Schöne Brunnen
- The Angel Fountain
- The Obelisk Fountain
- The Round Pool
- The Columbary
- The Gloriette with viewing terrace
- The Botanic Garden
- The Zoo
- The Palm House
- The Desert Experience House
- The Star Pool
- The Orangery


Peter was a nice guide and he gave us lot of information. The palace contains nearly 1500 rooms, and in its day, would have housed more than 1000 servants. Even though the sheer scale of the place is undeniably impressive, the building itself is something of an acquired taste; its plain façade is painted a rather pale mustard yellow color. In accordance with the principles of Baroque garden design, gardens were an expression of a ruler's status and as such were closely related to the architecture of the palace, being an extension of its magnificent interiors. The central axis of the palace formed the backbone of the gardens whose symmetry was determined by orthogonal and diagonal axes.

Behind the garden façade of the palace the Parterre occupies the largest space with its strictly symmetrical beds. Sited at the foot of the hill behind the palace and designed as the crowning element of the Great Parterre is the Neptune Fountain. It was conceived as part of the overall design of the gardens and park commissioned by Maria Theresa in the 1770s.

The tour ended with Bibo sleeping and I was so excited to watch the apple strudel show now. In a romantic vaulted cellar beneath Café-Restaurant Residenz is the Court Bakery. Here we watched expert patissiers preparing a delicious Viennese apple strudel and even taste a hot strudel fresh from the oven. We did not only learn how this divine Viennese dessert is made, but are also given the original Viennese Apple Strudel recipe to try out at home. I liked the show a lot and the cook was very funny.

We were hungry surely after the show and we had our lunch in the residence café where we tasted the Viennese schnitzel.(Lunch= Euro) I had to change for Bibo afterwards, going to the ladies room, there was a queue of American old ladies and they played and cuddled Bibo a lot. He was the only man in the bathroom !!!!

After the usual sleeping and rest break for Ali and Bibo, we went in the afternoon by Metro to Saint Stephen cathedral. St. Stephen's Cathedral is Austria's most eminent Gothic edifice. It is the main religious edifice in Vienna. It is the seat of a Roman Catholic Archbishop and one of the city's symbols, as well as the site of many important events in Austria's national life. I thought it would be closed by the time we reached there but it was open with a religious mess inside and we admired the beautiful decorations inside.
We passed near modern Haas House which was one of the most disputed building projects of the late 20th century in Vienna. The round curve of its facade quotes the ancient Roman citadell Vindobona, whose former layout is traceable throughout Vienna's first district. Haas House uses this principle to blend into its surrounding despite its contrasting architectural style. Today, Haas House is one of the most exciting buildings in Vienna and the city's pride. The square of St. Stephen's cathedral is opened up by the glass facade. Images of St. Stephen's Cathedral reflected by the straight glass facade of Haas House are a popular motif.
After that, we strolled along kartnerstrasse, the pedestrian lively shopping street; Kartnerstrasse is the main pedestrian zone within Vienna. It is a great place to wander the city and hit the shops. It is always bustling with people and has many good restaurants on some of the side streets. At Starbucks in kartnerstrasse we had a break. (Espresso Price: 2 Euro) We were near the legendary hotel sacher and facing the sacher café and I tasted the renowned sacher torte (Price for a piece = 4 Euro)

The trademark for the "Original Sachertorte" was registered by the Hotel Sacher, which was built in 1876 by the son of Franz Sacher. Sachertorte was invented in 1832 by Franz Sacher who, at the time was a pupil in the kitchen of the Austrian politician Klemens von Metternich.
The mission was simple: invent a new tart. Von Metternich did not want a light, frothy feminine tart, but something dry, more compact and masculine.
The recipe is a well-kept secret. Until 1965, Hotel Sacher was involved in a long legal battle with the pastry shop Demel, who had also produced a cake called the "Original Sachertorte." In 1876, Edward Sacher, Franz's son, opened a restaurant behind the opera house which later became the Hotel Sacher

Numerous tales have circulated to explain how Demel came by the recipe. The cake at Demel is now called "Demels Sachertorte" and differs from the "Original" in that there is no layer of apricot jam in the middle of the cake, but directly underneath the chocolate cover. Eventually the dispute was settled and laws were put into place about which ingredients are allowed in an authentic Sacher torte and how it must be prepared. Today, only Demel's and the Sacher Hotel in Vienna are allowed, by law, to inscribe the name Sacher on their cakes.

Thanks to his invention, Franz Sacher got a job in Budapest, but quickly came back to Vienna to work for Dehne, who supplied the Royal Court.
Later he opened his own shop and took his recipe with him. Demel who, in the meantime, had taken over Dehne's business, continued to make the tart.

Next, we passed by Graben, one of the most famous streets in Vienna's first district. Today the Graben is one of the most important promenades and shopping streets in Vienna. We stopped at Horowitz and Weece souvenir shop where we bought several decorative items for us and for our friends and it turned out that the owner of the shop is an Egyptian guy named Bahgat. We had a lovely conversation with him about Arabs in Vienna and their conditions.

At the end of Graben intersection we found Kohlmarkt Street. This street has a magnificent view of the copper dome of the Michaelertor entrance to Hofburg. The pedestrianized Kohlmarkt is the Vienna equivalent of Bond Street, home to the likes of Gucci, Cartier and Dunhill and here we were facing the Demel café. Demel's is another historic coffee house with Imperial connections. Presided over by another Anna for 50 years, Anna Demel, it was the Imperial and Royal Court confectioner, and the haunt of the aristocracy. After a period of decline, it is now restored to its former glory and the wonderful chocolates and liqueurs with their distinctive luxury packaging designed at the School of Art, are world renowned.

Our dinner for this night was at Pizza Biz, a place I discovered myself from far. We ordered 2 vegetarian pizzas (20 Euro) and took a taxi to the hotel. On the way, I saw Anker clock which I was searching for the whole afternoon on the map. At noon twelve figures representing the history of Vienna (from the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius to Joseph Haydn) move across the face of the clock. Every hour one of these figures (or a pair of figures) is displayed. The clock was created in 1911 by Franz von Matsch.

Monday 6 August, after the breakfast which usually was did by turn since Bibo loved to scream at breakfast time or wanted to hold the table clothes, we headed to the Hofburg walking. It was only 10 minutes far from the hotel. A little bit searching fro direction until we found the big placard guiding us for directions.

The Hofburg was originally a medieval castle, but today only the castle chapel Burgkapelle demonstrates its medieval past. Up to 1918, the Imperial Palace was the center of the vast empire of the Habsburg dynasty.

The Hofburg was extended to a magnificent residence when the Habsburg's power increased. That's why one can find almost any architectural style, from gothic to art nouveau. Nowadays this enormous complex is home to the National Library, the Imperial Treasury and houses a collection of musical instruments, another collection of weapons, a Museum of Ethnography and famous Spanish Riding School.

Vienna's Imperial castle also houses exotic butterflies in a marvelous art-deco glass house. Vast "Heldenplatz" (square of heroes), situated next to it, is very impressive, too. Equestrian statues of Archduke Karl, who won the battle of Aspern against Napoleon's troops (1809), and Prince Eugene of Savoy, who defeated the Turks, attest to Austria's glorious past. "Heldenplatz" is more than a square, it is one of Austria's symbols of national identity.

We bought a ticket for a tour of the Silver collection, the Imperial apartments and Sisi museum. (Ticket Price: 9.50 Euro) Today, the former private apartments of the imperial family in the Imperial Palace are open to the public. We immersed ourselves in the daily life of the monarchs. Emperor Franz Joseph and his Elisabeth lived here with their children and the entire royal household. From this location they represented the realm of the Habsburg and directed its politics.

The early Silver Chamber was for the storage of tableware made of precious metals as well as the court table linen. Over the course of time this developed into the imperial household comprising the Court Kitchen, the Court Confectionery, the Court Linen Room, the Court Cellars, the Court Silver and Table Room, the Court Depot of Victuals, the Court Firewood and Coal Depot and the Court Light Room, that is, the offices that were responsible for the provisioning and decoration of the imperial table, the heating of the apartments and the lighting of the palace.

After the fall of the Habsburg monarchy in 1918, a part of the items held by the individual court offices was sold off while the remainder was transferred to the Silver Chamber. Those items that had belonged to the state (as opposed to being the private property of the Habsburg dynasty) were either used for formal state banquets and dinners given by the fledgling republic or from 1923 put on public view in the rooms Franz Joseph had had adapted for the Silver Room in 1902. After complete renovation and the adaptation of adjacent rooms that had once housed the Royal and Imperial Gobelin Manufactory, the Silver Room was reopened in 1995 as the Imperial Silver Collection.

We were fascinated by the sumptuous world of imperial table culture and the fascination of outstanding individual items made by the most renowned manufactories in Europe. The objects exhibited here were once owned by the imperial family and document in a very immediate way the splendor of imperial life and personal tastes of the Habsburg dynasty.

After this, the tour took us through 18 rooms in the former apartments of the famous emperor and empress, most of which still have their original furnishings. One can see not only the rooms for the officers of the imperial household, the large Audience Hall (with a painting by the Biedermeier painter Peter Krafft) and the Conference Room, where ministers and the crown council held their meetings. But one can also view the office of Emperor Franz Joseph as well as the living room and bedroom of his wife, numerous salons and an old-fashioned bathroom.

The rooms are in the Rococo style, with rich stucco work and valuable tapestries from Brussels (17th and 18th centuries), chandeliers made from Bohemian crystal and tiled stoves made from porcelain. The furniture, added in the nineteenth century, is in the Louis XV and Empire styles.
The Imperial Apartments are entered via the imposing Kaiserstiege (Emperor's Staircase), which the emperor also used to gain access to his apartments. Here the first two rooms provide you with information about the Habsburg dynasty and the history of the Vienna Hofburg.




The new Sisi museum opened its doors on 24 April 2004. In six rooms we explored the life and complex personality of the famous empress in an exhibition free from the usual clichés associated with Sisi. Designed by Professor Rolf Langenfass, the museum presents a sensitive mise en scène of myth and reality.

After the Hofburg, we wanted to sit in the Demel café but it was full with no places at all. So we opted for a café facing it (I forgot the name) where we ordered Chococino & Espresso. (Price = 8 Euro)

It was time to change Bibo’s diaper at Stephenplatz metro station. There was a big baby room (wickel room) but it was closed and we had to ask for the key from the station manager. Mariahilferstrasse Street was our next destination and we reached there by metro also. It is a large nice shopping street. As soon as we arrived there I bought pampers for Bibo from DM supermarket (14 Euro). We strolled for an hour in this long busy street and we had lunch at KFC (20 Euro)

After the sacred break of each day to relieve Bibo’s butt from the stroller and let Ali have some sleep and relaxation we went in the afternoon to Danube Island. The Island is an area of countless bars, restaurants and nightclubs, a wealth of sports opportunities from rollerblading to canoeing and a beach that looks and feels so Carribbean that it's been nicknamed the "Copa Cagrana".

Few, however, know that it's also a highly sophisticated flood protection system stretching for 21 km: a second bed for the mighty river Danube was dug out in the area of the city of Vienna, throwing up a strip of land in between which is now the Danube Island. Tested for real it saved Vienna in 2002 from being as drastically flooded as many other Austrian cities.

We enjoyed the nice weather and the Danube view. I ate a delicious strawberry ice-cream then we sit in a café by the river and enjoyed the scenery.

At night, when we returned to the hotel we were hungry and all stores near the hotel were closed since everything in Vienna close early. Ali went to buy kebab from a stand near the hotel. It was not the kebab we know at all and was not that tasty.

On Wednesday 8 August, after the breakfast, we went walking to the Opera for a guided tour there and we decided to go through Am Hof and Freyung streets and explore this area which turns out to be very nice and historical.

The Freyung became an important market square, where various street artists and entertainers performed for their living. One of these performances was the Wiener Hanswurst (Viennese Fool) by Josef Stranitzky. Since the Hofburg Imperial Palace was not far, in the 17th and 18th centuries many aristocrats established their city residences at the square, as well as the neighbouring Herrengasse.

In 1856, the houses between the Freyung and the adjacent square Am Hof were demolished to broaden the street between them. In the late 19th century banks and other financial houses also moved into the area and established headquarters.

Furthermore, the Austria-Brunnen fountain, erected in 1844-1846 by Ludwig Schwanthaler in honour of Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria, sits in the middle of the square.

We arrived at the Opera on time at 10:00, the time the English tour starts.

For many, the Vienna State Opera alone is reason enough to visit the city. During World War II, the Americans bombed the Baroque edifice (mistaking it for a train station), but in 1955, the Staatsoper was reopened after being rebuilt to its original 1869 specifications (except for the ornate detail along the back corridors and salons, which was beyond the means of the struggling country).

The Vienna State Opera, with the Vienna Philharmonic in the pit each night, performs some 50 operas per season far more than any other opera company in the world. The house also hosts the Vienna Opera Ball, a highlight of the Viennese ball season.

During the tour, Bibo was very hyper and was screaming and jumping all over me so we had to leave the tour in the middle. The tour included:

- Entrance foyer
- Main staircase
- Tea salon
- Marble room
- Schwind foyer
- Gustav Mahler room
- Auditorium (with view of stage)


However, we saw the backstage which is amazing and the auditorium The most important for me was to see an opera from inside since it was my first time and hope next time we can watch an opera performing as well.

There are quite a number of markets where you can buy fresh vegetable and assorted delicacies, but Naschmarkt is arguably more than that: it is a Viennese institution dating back to the 16th century. Therefore, Naschmarkt was our next stop.

The location itself is spectacular: Wienfluss, Vienna's second river, was roofed over during the 19th century. Some dealers put up their stalls on top of this roof and that was that. Today, Naschmarkt is a unique mixture of Austrian traditions and oriental influences. It is a great place to shop for goodies and to have lunch at one of the many stalls, coffee shops and restaurants. Linke Wienzeile 40 is the address of two beautiful art deco houses built by Viennese Jugendstil architect Otto Wagner himself.

We liked this market and there were some Lebanese food there. It was a very hot day and we needed a break so we got back to the hotel by Metro. After some sleep, I went to Anker patissier in the Shotentor Metro station and I bought feta cheese sandwich, croissant and a delicious Tarte au fraise. And guess what Bibo wanted the Tarte for himself!!

In the afternoon, we headed to the Prater by Metro. As soon as we went out, it was raining heavily and we did not have an umbrella so we decided to go back for a while. We returned to Shwedenplatz metro station and it was raining too there and the indoor cafes were full so I gave Bibo his cerelac meal in the entrance of a building !!

Rain stopped so we returned to the prater. The roads were cleaned by the water and there was a nice smell from the grass.

The Prater is Vienna's most popular fun fair. The Prater is situated near the city centre and is ideal for walking, cycling, jogging or just lying in the grass after an exhausting sightseeing tour of Vienna. Furthermore, one can find major facilities for sports and recreation, such as the Krieau harness racing track, the Prater Stadium (soccer and track-and-field), the Stadionbad, a public swimming pool, the Freudenau flat racing track and the Pleasure Pavillion (Lusthaus).

Two further attractions in the Prater are the Vienna Wurschtlprater, a fun fair with the Giant Ferris Wheel (Riesenrad), where one can enjoy a terrific view over Vienna from 200 feet altitude and the Lilliputian Railroad (Liliputbahn), a 2.6 mile amusement park line on a auge of old steam locomotives, providing transportation to the Trade Fair grounds and to the Stadium.

The Giant Ferris Wheel (Riesenrad) was erected in 1897 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the reign of Empereror Franz Joseph I. The wheel itself spans 200 feet (about 60 m.). 15 cabins and the upholding structure weigh a total of 430,5 t and rotate at the speed of 0,65 m/sec.

In 1914 the Giant Ferris Wheel was the location of a sensational film stunt: Madame Solange d'Atalide managed to complete one round on horseback on top of one of the cabins. This would not be the only time that the 'Riesenrad' was featured in major films: The Third Man or Before Sunrise to name just a few.

In 1944, at the height of World War II, the Giant Ferris Wheel burnt down, but was rebuilt in 1945 - at the same time as St. Stephen's cathedral. The Viennese Riesenrad is the only giant ferris wheel of its time which is still in use today.

We enjoyed our time in the park and we heard nice music all the time. I played with……. and won a small toy for Bibo. Then, we had a ride in the ferry wheel. I was afraid at the beginning but then it went ok. Our dinner tonight was a take away from Burger king.

On Wednesday 8 August, we went by Metro to the Opera station and we want to go to Belvedere palace. I had to ask for some direction and a nice young lady with perfect English showed me the way. We went walking to Shwarzenberg plaza then by tramway D to the Belvedere. It was our first ride in the tramway and it was pleasant.

The two magnificent palaces on the Belvedere grounds lie in the middle of a splendid park. They were constructed for Prince Eugene of Savoy by J.L. von Hildebrandt, a famous Baroque architect. At this time the Belvedere Palaces were still located outside Vienna's defenses, but today they are a part of Vienna’s third district which is not far away from the very centre of Vienna. The Palaces' architecture and interior design are typical for Rococo style.

Today, both palaces house museums featuring Austrian painting. In the lower palace the Austrian Museum of Baroque Art displays Austrian Art of the 18th century. In the upper palace you can visit the Austrian gallery with a collection of 19th- and 20th-century Austrian paintings. There, you can find works of artist of the Secession movement such as Gustav Klimt (1867-1918), Egon Schiele (1890-1918) or Oskar Kokoschka (1886-1980).

In 1803, Europe's first alpine garden was created in the extensive park area of Belvedere castle following a suggestion of Archduke Johann. Today, more than 4000 plants represent the diverse flora of the alpine ecosystem.

We returned walking from Belvedere to the Soviet monument and the fountain where we cooled out a little from the hot. Next, on our plan was to visit the House of Music. This museum offers fun and "edutainment" that can be enjoyed by every member of the family, no matter the age. It is, in short, a place for discovering the world of music in a manner which emphasizes the playful and joyful sides of musical pleasure.

The first floor is devoted entirely to the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, which has its historic roots in this building. The second floor marks the beginning of a journey through a bewildering variety of sound worlds, from pre-natal white noise and the inside of an organ pipe to the sound of the Tokyo underground railway system. The third floor belongs to the composers of the Viennese classical period. It combines extraordinarily vivid acoustics with a wealth of information. The fourth floor harbors a succession of aural delights and surprises in the form of the "hyper-instruments."

Finally, the fifth floor houses the Divertimento concert hall and a great restaurant, where you can enjoy a unique view over the roofs of the old city and towards St. Stephen's cathedral. Bibo slept on the first two floors and walked up in the most interesting floor the third one and tried to eat and catch my audio guide all the time. He was hungry and started shouting so we hurried out to the cantine in the ground floor where he ate his whole carrot Bledine jar. As usual Ali had an espresso and I had an ice-cream.

After the museum we had lunch in one of Kartnerstrasse cafes names Montagna where Ali enjoyed a caprese salad, seafood pasta and I again ate the Viennese Schnitzel and an apple strudel. (45 Euro) On the afternoon, we had nothing in plan so we saw on the map that Freud house and museum is somehow close to the hotel. We decided to go and did not really focus on the map believing we will arrive easily. We strolled and strolled and oops we get lost. It was somehow cold and all the shops were closed. There was nobody in the streets and no taxi station nearby and no metro. We continue our walking until we arrived to Liechtenstein palace and museum. It started to rain and we were now in an area of pubs and nightclubs and finally we saw a taxi and we got back to our hotel. It was quite an experience. The taxi driver was a very old man and he started to play with Bibo. Our dinner tonight was from the pizza store at the metro station and when I went there it was raining heavily with storms.

On Thursday 9 August after our usually quick breakfast, we took a Taxi to Westbahnhof Station to catch our train to Salzburg HBF station. Westbanhof is a small cozy station. We waited for about 30 minutes before going on the train and Bibo started to play with an elderly couples and smile to them. We went on the train and we had to hold all our luggage and stroller by ourselves. We had a first class ticket and Bibo started to shout as soon as we entered the train. (Ticket price = 47 Euro per person)

It was a beautiful ride full of nice scenery. The train (Transalpine OBB) was going to Basel, Switzerland and it had many stops in very beautiful villages. There is a restaurant onboard and a changing room for babies also. The journey took 3 hours to reach Salzburg and this popular combination gave us ample time to soak up the atmosphere and admire the sights and the gorgeous sceneries.

Nowhere can you discover and experience so many traces of Mozart’s life as in the UNESCO World Heritage city Salzburg. Mozart and Salzburg are practically synonymous. Among music lovers, Salzburg is known simply as the Mozart City. Mozart’s music has conquered countries across the world and brought them under its spell, no city is as bound up with this musical genius as Salzburg.

A baroque city on the banks of the Salzach River, Salzburg is the beautiful capital of Land Salzburg. This former site of the Roman town of Juvavum is set against a pristine mountain backdrop. The city and the river were named after the early residents who earned their living in the region's salt mines.

The Old Town lies on the left bank of the river, where a monastery and bishopric were founded in A.D. 700. From that simple start, Salzburg grew in power and prestige, becoming an archbishopric sees in 798. At the height of the prince-archbishop's power, the city was known as the "German Rome." On medieval maps, the little province of Land Salzburg was titled "church lands." Long a part of the Holy Roman Empire, Land Salzburg was joined to Austria in 1816 following the Congress of Vienna.

Salzburg is internationally known for its architectural grandeur. Much of the work was done by the masters of the baroque, Fischer von Erlach and Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt. The Salzburg Cathedral is the first deliberately Italian-style church to be built north of the Alps.

Ever since the end of World War II, Salzburg has had a strong American connection. While the Soviets occupied a section of Vienna and Lower Austria, Salzburg was a part of the American zone. The real postwar economy didn't develop in Eastern Austria until 1955 when the Russians pulled out. However, economic development began in Salzburg right at the end of the war, giving the city a 10-year head start and cementing its friendship with the United States.

It was cold when we arrived and we took a taxi to our hotel Schone Aussicht. We arrived there around 1:00-1:30. The road scenery to the hotel is amazingly beautiful. It is 10 minutes away from the city center & you just feel that you are living in the countryside. The hotel is lovely, cute & warm. Our room number 9 on the first floor was wonderful. I think it is a family run hotel where you feel at home. The rooms are nicely decorated with a modern bathroom and surprisly very quiet. We ordered a crib for Bibo. We were starving so we ate in the hotel restaurant, which has a romantic view, a very delicious but small Ravioli meal. (Reserved through Uflyonline.com - Rate for 2 nights with breakfast= 325 $)

After a small break, we went to the city by Taxi which we ordered from the hotel. It was a Turkish driver and we had a nice conversation with him. Our stop was at Mozartplatz. The beloved son of Salzburg has been standing there since 1842 while giving the city his impassive face. (Taxi rate to the center= From 7-10 Euro)

After quick pictures we walked to Getreidegasse, Salzburg's most famous shopping street. Getreidegasse is a street that is home to many great shops, the Christmas store, Swarovski Crystal shop, antiques, authentic Austrian clothes( lovely clothes), mcdonalds, souvenirs, etc. The thing I like about this street is the attractive ornamented signs that decorate the shops.

It was time for the Cerelac meal for Bibo therefore we headed to the Mirabel gardens. It started to rain lightly and Ali hold Bibo when we were crossing the famous bridge in Salzburg and it was a nice adventure. The palace in Mirabellgarten was built by the worldly prince-archbishop Wolf Dietrich for his mistress, Salome Alt, in 1606. Its attractive gardens were featured in "The Sound of Music", and this is a great place to relax. It consists of a colorful world of flowers and sculptures, artistically trimmed hedges and arbours. We had dinner at Mac Donalds in Getreidegasse.

On Friday 10 August, we woke up early by the wake up call. Ali went alone to breakfast and I stayed with Bibo in the room then I went alone. It was not nice for both of us and we barely ate. We were waiting to go to the sound of music tour and I prayed a lot that Bibo remain calm during the tour. A van was waiting for us to take us to Panorama tours head office where our tour would start. ( 35 Euro per person)

The tour is a wonderful ride with breathtaking views of the landscape where the opening scenes of the movie were filmed. Our English-speaking guide not only showed us the highlights of the film but also the historical and architectural landmarks in the city, as well as a part of the picturesque Lake District.

Throughout the tour we passed by the Mirabell Gardens where Maria and the children were seen dancing around the statue of Pegasus, the winged horse, and throughout the gardens singing 'Do-Re-Mi'. Then, Leopoldskron Castle where the front side of the castle was used as the Trapp family home, the children were boating on the Leopoldskron Lake and fell into the water. The Venetian room was copied from the castle and used as the ballroom. Our tour continued through Hellbrunn Castle. In this hunting castle which was built in the early 17th century by Prince-Archbishop Markus Sittikus, the glass pavillion (Gazebo) was reconstructed for the pleasure of those fans still returning after 30 years. I went alone to see the Gazebo because Ali stayed with Bibo sleeping in the bus.

On the way, we saw Nonnberg Abbey. Nonnberg Abbey is the oldest convent in the German speaking part of Europe. Maria was a novice there. The baron and Maria were married here in 1927. The scenes for the movie made here include the opening with the nuns going to Mass and Maria coming too late.

Our next stop was at St.Gilgen and Lake Wolfgang. The Scenery shown at the beginning of the movie was filmed at Lake Fuschl on the way to St. Gilgen. Like the Mozart family, visitors from all over the world appreciate the beautiful village in the Salzkammergut. This area is wonderful and fantastic.

Our last stop was at the wedding Church in Mondsee. In Mondsee Cathedral the film wedding between Julie Andrews as Maria and Christopher Plummer as the Baron took place. We had a break in this beautiful small village for an hour. We went to the free clean public bathroom then we bought some souvenirs in the local shops. We took a seat at a lovely café where we ordered espresso and an apple strudel for me and Bibo who loved to share his mom plates. Afterwards, we went on the highway where we relaxed and listened to the original Sound of Music soundtrack. Both Ali and enjoyed the tour.

Afterwards, we passed by Mozart Gerburthous. Mozart was born on the third floor then owned by a family friend, one Johann Lorenz Hagenauer, on January 27, 1756, and the family lived on this floor, when they were not on tour, from 1747 to 1773. As the child prodigy composed many of his first compositions in these rooms, it is fitting and touching that Mozart's tiny first violin, his clavicord, and a copy of his fortepiano.

Next, we did some chocolate shopping from Billa supermarket and some shopping for friends and family. We bought bread, cheese and coke from spars supermarket for our dinner at the hotel.

On our last day, Saturday 11 August, we went to breakfast all together this time and Bibo loved the fruit yogurt. On the plan was relaxation around the pool in the hotel but it was very cold and rainy day. At 10:00, we went by taxi to the center. The driver was from New Zealand. Our stop was at Kapitelplatz which is squashed in between the cathedral and the fortress mountain. There are a communal chess-boards and a number of souvenir stalls. It was raining heavily. Ali bought 2 Mozart umbrellas. Bibo ate his meal shaded by the columns. We wanted to go to the castle but it was very cold for Bibo.


We passed by Residence Square which is the heart of the old city centre. The Residence Fountain is 15 meters high and the largest baroque fountain in the world. It was built between 1658 and 1661 and is made of marble from Untersberg - a mountain near Salzburg. Its waterspouting horses reached world fame thanks to their appearance in the Sound of Music. There was a choral singing in front of a library. Then because of the rain we were obliged to sit in café (I forgot the name) but it was facing the Demel.

It was still raining and we did not have a rain shade for the stroller. Finally we found a nice indoor café named Testa Rossa in Mozart birthplace where Bibo slept on their couches and we tasted a wonderful hot chocolate and Topfen strudel which is a delicious cheese strudel.

Rain did not stop so we had no other option than to head for the airport earlier. It was a nice old lady who took us to the hotel to collect our luggage and from there to Wolfang Amadeus Mozart airport.

The airport is somehow small with lots of tourists. We had to wait for an hour before entering the duty free section. It was full. Bibo ate his meal and slept on my shoulder. The flight from Salzburg to Frankfurt aboard Lufthansa 6419 at 7:05 was easy and we arrived around 8:00. It was simple to reach the gates at Frankfurt airport this time. On the plane, we had an empty seat near us and Ali made a bed for Bibo and he slept during the whole flight. The flight aboard Lufthansa 3518 to Beirut was at 9:25 and we arrived to Beirut at 2:10. We were in our home sweet home.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb