Sleep is for the Weak


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
February 28th 2007
Published: February 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

There are some airports in the world where sleeping overnight is part and parcel of your holiday experience. Stansted, Luton and even Gatwick airports in England are good examples. (seeing a trend here...)

Like sleeping on the top deck of a Greek island hopping ferry; you arrive early, bag a place to set up home and then wander (though not far; what with the strict baggage destruction rules set in place) nodding every now and then to your fellow travellers - silently laughing at the ones who have chosen to set up home in a place that they'll be sure to get kicked out of before 4am the next morning (past experience), or the hardcore airport sleepers who have brought along air mattresses and keeping in mind places that would suit you well in the future; tallying their strong/weak points in regards to proximity to toilets; inclusion of furniture (bonus if you're found a bench or couch without hand-rests!), light settings, possibility of an early wake-up call, power point access and how many 'walls' your new home will have (this is not a major issue - walls can be substituted with luggage trolleys).

There are also some airports in the world where sleeping overnight is just.not.done. Vienna Airport, Austria is one of these. In fact, I'd say the employees at Vienna Airport would appreciate it more if you had a quick coffee, completed your duty free shopping and then made your way quickly and efficiently to the boarding gate and plane. There are few chairs of any description at Vienna airport(or so it would seem); couches are virtually non existent. Power points are few and far between and internet access (apart from using your own lamentably green screened laptop) is unavailable.

Never fear, being a woman generally helps it situations like these; having a Starbucks is even more useful. Minor flirting will not only get you extra foam on your Mocha; it will also get you a nice comfy couch in a closed off area - with dim lights and no chance of an early disturbance! And knowing Starbucks, the chances of a member of the opposite sex getting the same services after a little flirting is just as likely!

Advertisement



4th March 2007

Airport overnights
glad to hear you've discovered the airport budget accomodation and added it to your list of experiences. One hasn't REALLY travelled until they've fully experienced that. Of course you'd need to do it in every country to be able to give an unbiased comment but I'd say Zurich Airport would be similar to Vienna Airport in not catering for overnighters.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb