A day with Picasso


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
December 14th 2006
Published: December 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Brand new do'sBrand new do'sBrand new do's

Us with our brand new fancy do's courtesy of Coiffeur Michel in front of the Albertina
We are leaving for Prague tomorrow and had a free day.. We visited Hechem and his wife Samar at their salon.. as always they were being very generous and asked if I wanted to get my hair done.. I gave in (twist my arm..right?).. It was such a treat! specially since the hot water at the apt lasts all of 6 mins and it's always quiet the challenge to wash my hair. Samar washed and massaged my head for 15 mins!!!! I was in heaven.. She then cut layers and blow dried it.. It really was a wonderful treat! Hashim had finished up with a customer and he motioned David to a chair for a haircut.. we are all ready for our trip to Prague with brand new fancy do's..we are very lucky!
After promising to come visit after Prague.. David and I walked down to the Albertina Museum. We had seen signs that they had a Picasso and Andy Warhol exhibits and thought it would be a good time to check it out.

The Andy Warhol exhibit was a tiny one.. lots of Mic Jagger, The Beatles and some pretty cool Aretha Franklin pieces..
Picasso's exhibit was definetly the
Andy Warhol ExhibitAndy Warhol ExhibitAndy Warhol Exhibit

Dave in the Warhol exhibit room..
most extensive and impressive one.. there were over 200 originals. Most of the pieces were from his later years.. lots of nudes and couples. Picasso's art was greatly influenced by the women in his life.. and apparently he changed partners quiet often.. His last wife, Jaqueline Roque was 44 years his Jr. (She was 35, he 79 when they met), which explains his late couple work.. showing poorly matched couples..I had no idea he kept painting up until the year he passed away (1973) at the ripe age of 91! Picasso seemed to be obsessed by death and in one of his interviews he said.."I think about Death all the time. She is the only woman who never leaves me."
David's favorite pieces were the Matadors..lots of bold colors and strong feature. We were also surprised to learn that Picasso did some sculpting in his spare time.. you know when we wasn't busy creating 20,000 or so art pieces!!!
The third exhibit was from a contemporary Swiss artist neither of us had ever heard of.. Franz Gertsch. He created gigantic, very lifelike colored woodcuts... Each piece was 25ft X 19ft... and it looked like a photograph.. the details were so
Dave & PicassoDave & PicassoDave & Picasso

One of the Picasso's Matadors
impressive!

It was a fun afternoon at the Museum.. we grabbed a bite closeby.. picked a place which had pictures in the menu.. neither of us were up for guessing menus tonight and headed home. Our train is early in the morning tomorrow.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The Vienna Opera HouseThe Vienna Opera House
The Vienna Opera House

Opera House view from top of the Albertina


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 70; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb