Neuschwenstein Castle


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Reutte
August 6th 2005
Published: August 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The rain caught up with us again today. Perfect for touring a castle. We were fortunate that we went luging yesterday as you can't do that in the rain. Castle touring however is an all weather activity.
Neuschwenstein Castle was a fairtytale like structure rising from the top of a mountain. It was never completed as a functioning castle as King Ludwig (it's creator) died before it was completed. It was stormed by tourists within six weeks of his death in the 1800's and it has belonged to the tourists ever since. The bavarian folks work hard to bleed every Euro out of this disorganized lot of invaders but alas they have succumbed to the invasion and now welcome them with open arms and open tills.
The castle itself although very beautiful is still a sad story as it was the dream of a very young, idyllic King Ludwig. He dreamed of an amazing castle and furnishings but was declared mad by the court which was to be his helpers and was found mysteriously drowned. I couldn't help but feel sad for all the arisans who worked so hard to build something spectacular for their king. Interesting that here this is
Schloss NeuschwensteinSchloss NeuschwensteinSchloss Neuschwenstein

You can't take pictures inside the castle so here is another shot from outside.
considered a modern day castle - it would be one of the oldest structures in Canada if it were there.
The castle tour involves a jaunt up the mountain to arrive at the gates. Once enjoying that view our Albertan feet took us even farther up the mountain to enjoy the waterfalls and inspirational views of the valley below and ultimately the huge castle below. Mother sense finally snapped in and we found our way to the bottom but not before the rains soaked the trail for us. It was actually mostly fine but Europeans do not put up the safety fences, barricades, gates and general warnings which you would find at Canadian tourist attractions.
Tomorrow we are off to Salzburg. If the sun is shining tomorrow we may take in one more hike in the morning but we will see in the am.
Hopefully we will be able to continue to update you in our new location.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb