Ain't No Mountain High Enough


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
June 13th 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 47.2627, 11.3947

After purchasing the Innsbruck Card, we caught a tram into the city centre.

First stop was to catch the Funicular Cable Car up Seegrube Mountain. We thought this was high up until we then caught the Patscherkofelbahnen Cable Car a further 1,000 metres up the mountain. Hang Gliders were jumping off a steep incline at the lookout almost in a procession. We then caught a further Cable Car up to the top of the mountain, some 2,500 metres above the city of Innsbruck. No wonder there was snow all around. It was unexpectedly warm though at the top today, being around 25 degrees.

After coming down the mountain, we walked through the Old City and visited the Hopkirche. This Church contains the most renowned cenotaph in the western world, being the tomb of Emporer Maximilian 1.

From there we visited to the Hofburg Palace, home of the Habsburg Family that we seem to be following through our Europe travels. We also checked out a special exhibition in the Palace on Mountaineering.

We then visited the Tyrol Museum, which features the history of the Innsbruck region.

After a big day out, we headed for our hotel , happy that we decided to change our travel plans to visit Innsbruck, rather than the flood affected cities of Linz and Passau.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.525s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.2639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb