South of the Border


Advertisement
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
February 17th 2012
Published: March 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

You would think that after going 36 hours without sleep, except for a half hour snooze during Shakespeare on the plane, that I would've had a long night's rest once I climbed into bed. Yet I was up most of the night coughing my brains out. I assume I was allergic to the feather bed or some alien German mould in our room. I kept my poor mother awake as well. But when breakfast time rolled ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 81, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Maybe This German Beer Is Pastor-izedMaybe This German Beer Is Pastor-ized
Maybe This German Beer Is Pastor-ized

We kind of figured out that this was an abbey-run business when this monk came out to sell us a couple of kegs of beer. They also produce their own Schnapps. One day I'll give it a shot - yuk yuk.
Beer on the GoBeer on the Go
Beer on the Go

When we finally got back to our BMW and started to drive off toward Innsbruck this truck full of our Ettal beer pulled out ahead of us. It was a sign from God.
Now We Arrive in InnsbruckNow We Arrive in Innsbruck
Now We Arrive in Innsbruck

After buying our two little barrels of Ettaler beer we drove South through Garmisch and Mittenwald toward Seefeld and the Austrian border. For some reason the main road was closed. We were detoured along with a long line of other cars down a very narrow one lane road that took us between huge snowpiles lining the road. We drove through steep mountain roads. past farmfields, and through tiny towns before emerging on a somewhat major road near Leithen, South of Seefeld. I don't know if the main road was closed due to an accident, road work, or an avalanche. In Leithen I stopped to buy a ten day Austrian highway vignette - their method of collecting a one time toll for using their highways. From here it was only 20 minutes to Innsbruck.
Exploring Part of the Old Town on Our Quest to Swarovski'sExploring Part of the Old Town on Our Quest to Swarovski's
Exploring Part of the Old Town on Our Quest to Swarovski's

We parked in a capacious underground garage just a block from the center of Old Town. I was extremely careful to park the car far away from any others lest they scratch our new paint. It also helped the sardines in the backseat to have some extra room to squeeze out.
A Lot Different in the WinterA Lot Different in the Winter
A Lot Different in the Winter

Normally this little pedestrian street is jam-packed with people when we come in the Summer on an EF trip. Today it was almost deserted. You'd think there'd be some sales going on during the off-season but we couldn't find any. It was misty and colder so before too long we decided we needed something to warm us up.
Fastnacht DelightsFastnacht Delights
Fastnacht Delights

We arrived in Germany just in time for their Mardi Gras, called "Fasching". The Pennsylvania Dutch back home have corrupted the word to "Fastnacht". They celebrate with donuts on the day before Ash Wednesday while the Germans celebrate for a week. In any case, donuts are part of this event. We kept putting off buying some until it was too late and on our way home.
A Little Nosh Before Jewelry ShoppingA Little Nosh Before Jewelry Shopping
A Little Nosh Before Jewelry Shopping

My mother surprised me by saying she was hungry. I thought the big breakfast everyone had would deter me from grabbing a Wurst somewhere in Innsbruck. We all agreed to go into the Cafe Margit Kroll place I've hidden in many other times while Gail shopped at Swarovski's. Since I was waiting for Wurst I didn't order anything but a Coke, but our mothers got Strudel and hot chocolate.
Just Cleaning Up the PlateJust Cleaning Up the Plate
Just Cleaning Up the Plate

Since I grew up hearing how I should clean my plate because the children were starving in Europe, I felt it necessary to lend some foreign aid my polishing off my mother's strudel. They have stayed skinny and I have gotten fatter.
Someone Isn't Feeling Too WellSomeone Isn't Feeling Too Well
Someone Isn't Feeling Too Well

On our ride on that somewhat treacherous, twisty one way road through the Alps, Gail said she was started to feel a little sick. She seemed a little better when we got out of the car, but by the time we left the Strudel Cafe she was feeling nauseous again. No, that is not a giant pretzel in her hand - it's the door knob.
What a Friend We Have in CheesesWhat a Friend We Have in Cheeses
What a Friend We Have in Cheeses

"Well, I was, uh, sitting in the public library on Thurmon Street just now, skimming through "Rogue Herrys" by Hugh Walpole, and I suddenly came over all peckish." Well, this little cheese shop was much better stocked than Mr Wensleydale's establishment. I took a free sample of course. Looking back I wish I would've gotten some Emmentaler for the road.
The Middle of Old Town (Altstadt) InnsbruckThe Middle of Old Town (Altstadt) Innsbruck
The Middle of Old Town (Altstadt) Innsbruck

Once again I was amazed at how dead the place looked. Even when we visited during the Holidays this little corner near the Goldenes Dachl was buzzing with people watching an orchestra and street vendors selling Gluhwein and Wursts. My quest for sausage today wasn't going too well.
I Wonder How Much of This Stuff Is Actually Made in AustriaI Wonder How Much of This Stuff Is Actually Made in Austria
I Wonder How Much of This Stuff Is Actually Made in Austria

or even in Europe. I bet the tourists are out the door during the Summer months. And when school groups come in it must be insane, hence the multilingual "do not touch" signs on the pole.
Portending DoomPortending Doom
Portending Doom

It was right about at this point as we drew ever closer to Swarovski's that I hear Gail utter words I never imagined she could say: "We won't be in their long. I feel terrible". She'd been waiting over two years to return here to shop. I was expecting at least a couple of hours of boredom to follow.
At the Door and I Don't Want to Go In At the Door and I Don't Want to Go In
At the Door and I Don't Want to Go In

I allowed the ladies to head into Swarovski's without me. Once in there I felt sure I wouldn't have any trouble finding them. Instead I decided to snap a few photos of the Old Town district first.
We're Still Successful in One EnterprizeWe're Still Successful in One Enterprize
We're Still Successful in One Enterprize

It did my heart good to see a good ole American institution thriving in Europe. A couple of years ago we seemed to see a lot of Subways and Burger Kings as well, but this year McDonald's looked to be the only thing American that the Europeans were into.
Fifteen Minutes Later...Fifteen Minutes Later...
Fifteen Minutes Later...

They should be done now, right? Thankfully the lower floor wasn't packed with students on holiday or multiple busloads of Asian tourists....Not yet.
She Seems to Be Feeling Much Better NowShe Seems to Be Feeling Much Better Now
She Seems to Be Feeling Much Better Now

When I made my wife into the labyrinth that is the new Swarovski store I found the ladies stalled on the third floor looking dumbfounded about some glitzy glass stuff. I assumed a little shopping had restored Gail's constitution.
Two of Us Just Killing TimeTwo of Us Just Killing Time
Two of Us Just Killing Time

Realizing that this could take a whole lot of time I set out to find someplace where hubbies can grab a seat while the females spent their money. I noticed this little fellow feeling as excited as I was. At least the glimmery glass steps were kind of interesting.
On a Clear Day This Might Be a Spectacular ShotOn a Clear Day This Might Be a Spectacular Shot
On a Clear Day This Might Be a Spectacular Shot

In my search for a comfortable nesting place I came upon a big bay window looking out upon the pedestrian way leading to the famed Goldenes Dachl. In the distance you can barely make out the Alps looming over Innsbruck. Alas, no place for this bird to roost.
No Progress YetNo Progress Yet
No Progress Yet

After spending 5 minutes in a dark curtained room with strange celestial music buzzing while pieces of crystal were illuminated by multi-colored overhead lights I felt like I was being brainwashed by the North Koreans. I went back to see if the lasses had at least moved from their last recorded position. They had, but now they had located the "Sale" displays. Time to take another walk.



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 25; qc: 91; dbt: 0.1088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb